Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial stress in curved beams

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    I have a u-shaped t-beam, and I am trying to calculate the radial stress where [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 degrees. I have calculated [tex]\sigma\theta_{}[/tex] but I am unclear on how to treat the varying thickness of the cross-section when integrating with respect to radius.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey Johnny,

You have to show your work first, so we can pinpoint where you went wrong.

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    [tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{tr}\int t\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
    with a lower limit of a=inner radius, and upper limit of r=variable radius. For one, why is the thickness even included in the equation since it cancels anyway, and two, how do I treat the varying thickness of the cross-section? I have tried
    [tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{b}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{c}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{r}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{r}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
    where the subscripts 1 & 2 denote the horizontal and vertical portions of the cross-section, respectively. Neither method gives viable results. a, b, and c denote radius's at each definition of the cross-section starting with the inner radius. I have found [tex]\sigma_{\theta}[/tex] already, I just need to know how to define the limits of the integral

5. Apr 19, 2009 #4
    I have added a couple of files for clarification. Also, I am plotting the radial stress as a function of the radius so the end result will include the variable "r".

Attached Files:

6. Apr 19, 2009 #5
    ...Anybody...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook