1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial-transverse motion

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Jason03,

You follow the same procedure as you did part a. At point B (right before it slips) you know the total acceleration (magnitude and direction.) What forces are acting on the object? What information does being on the verge of slipping tell you? From your free body diagram you can write the components of the forces; some of these will contain theta and you can then solve for theta. What do you get?

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    You say that I know the acceleration, so does that mean its the same as in part A?....and the condition right before it slips is when static friction is about to be overcome by the force of gravity.

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Hi, Jason. It's been a while but I will try to get you started. I will assume that you have already drawn your FBD and KD for when the block is just about to slip. Breaking Equilibrium equations into radial and transverse components should be your next move. What do have so far?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?