Solving a Rotating Platform Ride Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating amusement park ride with suspended seats. The question asks for the speed of each seat, with the given information of the platform diameter, chain length, and angle formed by the chains. The attempted solution involves calculating the radius of the system and using a formula involving gravity and the tangent of the angle. However, the user is confused about the correct radius and asks for clarification.
jnthn205

Homework Statement

An amusement park ride consists of a rotating circular platform 9.87m in diamter from which 10kg seats are suspended at the end of 2.59m massless chains (L). When the system rotates, the chains make an angle of 39.3 degrees with the vertical. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is the speed of each seat? Answer in m/s.

Homework Equations

Force = Mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

look at this thread which is the exact same problem:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=191527

I figured out how to do it from there. My question is how did that user get 6.6 for his radius and also how did he get his answer? I tried doing what he did, (even put his numbers in) and i still got different answers.

I found that my radius of the system = 7.525m correct?
And so I used sqrt((r + L*sin(theta)) *g*tan(theta))
which comes out to sqrt((7.525 + 2.59*sin(39.3)) *9.8*tan(39.3)).
Which is 8.57m/s. Before i checked my answer, i used the users numbers to find the answer, and it was different then what he said was correct. I think my formula is wrong, but I cannot figure out why.

Physics news on Phys.org
jnthn205: Show your work for how you computed radius r. Your current radius is incorrect, but we do not yet know why, because you did not show how you computed r.

1. How does a rotating platform ride work?

A rotating platform ride is a type of amusement ride that consists of a circular platform that rotates horizontally. The platform is usually divided into sections, and each section can hold one or more riders. The platform is powered by a motor, and the speed and direction of rotation can be controlled by an operator. Riders sit or stand on the platform and experience centrifugal force as it spins, creating a sensation of weightlessness and thrill.

2. What are some common problems that can occur with rotating platform rides?

Some common problems with rotating platform rides include mechanical failures, such as motor or brake malfunctions, which can cause the ride to stop abruptly or not operate correctly. Other issues can include loose or damaged components, electrical problems, and safety hazards.

3. How do scientists and engineers solve problems with rotating platform rides?

Scientists and engineers use a variety of techniques to solve problems with rotating platform rides. This can include conducting thorough inspections and maintenance, using computer simulations to identify potential issues, and implementing safety protocols. They may also analyze data and perform experiments to improve the design and functionality of the ride.

4. How can safety be ensured on a rotating platform ride?

Safety on a rotating platform ride is ensured through regular maintenance and inspections, following safety guidelines and regulations, and training operators and staff on proper procedures. Additionally, engineers may use safety mechanisms, such as emergency brakes or sensors, to detect and prevent potential hazards.

5. What measures are taken to prevent motion sickness on a rotating platform ride?

To prevent motion sickness on a rotating platform ride, engineers may design the ride to rotate at a consistent speed and direction, minimizing sudden changes or stops. They may also incorporate features such as smooth transitions and adjustable seating positions to reduce discomfort. Additionally, riders can take precautions such as not eating a heavy meal before riding and focusing on a fixed point during the ride.