Solving Radian Equation: Amp=2/3, Period=4╥, Shift=╥/2

• Thread starter lucifer_x
  • Start date
In summary, the equation of a sine function with an amplitude of 2/3, a period of 4π, and a phase shift of π/2 in radians can be represented as y = (2/3)sin(2θ + π/2).
lucifer_x

Homework Statement

Write an equation of a sine function with a amp=(2/3) , Period = 4╥ and a phase shift of ╥/2.

in radians

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got

y = 2/3 cos (2...

Physics news on Phys.org
lucifer_x said:

Homework Statement

Write an equation of a sine function with a amp=(2/3) , Period = 4╥ and a phase shift of ╥/2.

in radians

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i got

y = 2/3 cos (2...

Keep going... (and use the sin function)

so would the answer be

y = - 2/3 sin ( 2Θ + π )

and

y = 2/3 sin ( 2Θ + π )

??

lucifer_x said:
so would the answer be

y = - 2/3 sin ( 2Θ + π )

and

y = 2/3 sin ( 2Θ + π )

??

I don't think so. How is the period of these functions defined? How is the phase shift defined?

1. How do I solve a radian equation with given values for amplitude, period, and shift?

To solve a radian equation with given values for amplitude, period, and shift, you can use the formula y = A*sin(B(x-C)) + D, where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency (calculated as 2π/period), C is the horizontal shift, and D is the vertical shift. Simply plug in the given values and solve for x.

2. What is the relationship between amplitude and maximum/minimum values in a radian equation?

The amplitude in a radian equation represents half the distance between the maximum and minimum values. It is also equal to the absolute value of the vertical shift (D) in the formula y = A*sin(B(x-C)) + D.

3. Can a radian equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a radian equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the sine function is a periodic function, meaning it repeats itself over a given interval. In this case, the interval is the period (4π), so there can be multiple values of x that satisfy the equation.

4. How do I graph a radian equation with given values for amplitude, period, and shift?

To graph a radian equation with given values for amplitude, period, and shift, plot the key points (maximum, minimum, and x-intercepts) by plugging in values of x and solving for y using the formula y = A*sin(B(x-C)) + D. Then, use these points to sketch the graph of the equation, making sure to show the periodic nature of the function.

5. Can a radian equation have a negative amplitude?

Yes, a radian equation can have a negative amplitude. This simply means that the graph will be reflected over the x-axis. The absolute value of the amplitude still represents the distance between the maximum and minimum values, but the negative sign indicates a reflection of the graph.