Radian measure and real numbers

In summary: Radians are a real number, even without that stuff about arc lengths. Like, ##2\pi## is both real number and the radians of a complete circle. I'm confused by what your questionI got confused when I saw this prove in a textbook. I didn't realize that radian is ratio of quantities of same dimension and so is real number. Thanks!Note that there are some complications in dimensionless unitsThe radian is defined as 1.[5] There is controversy as to whether it is satisfactory in the SI to consider angles to be dimensionless.[
f9CSERS
TL;DR Summary
Radian measure of any angle is a real number and vice-versa. How?
Formula used : arc length = radius × angle (in radian).

I interpreted this as:
•Taking a unit circle, we get "angle (in radian) = arc length".

This means radian measure of an angle is arc length, which can be represented on a real number line. Hence, it is a real number.

Is this way to interpret correct? (I think it's not!)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Radians are a real number, even without that stuff about arc lengths. Like, ##2\pi## is both real number and the radians of a complete circle. I'm confused by what your question

Likes f9CSERS
Hello @f9CSERS, :welcome: !

f9CSERS said:
This means radian measure of an angle is arc length
No it is not: an arc length has a dimension length, the radian is a ratio and therefore a dimensionless unit.

A ratio of quantities with dimension length can be zero or negative if we allow quantities of dimension length to be negative, which we do (cf x-coordinates).

Likes etotheipi and f9CSERS
Office_Shredder said:
Radians are a real number, even without that stuff about arc lengths. Like, ##2\pi## is both real number and the radians of a complete circle. I'm confused by what your question
I got confused when I saw this prove in a textbook. I didn't realize that radian is ratio of quantities of same dimension and so is real number. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1605187046318638709389.jpg
    1605187046318638709389.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 1605187073930-1209627674.jpg
    1605187073930-1209627674.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 214
Note that there are some complications in dimensionless units
Wikipedia said:
The radian is defined as 1.[5] There is controversy as to whether it is satisfactory in the SI to consider angles to be dimensionless.[6] This can lead to confusion when considering the units for frequency and the Planck constant.[4][7]

Likes SammyS
BvU said:
If I myself do not encounter any issue, till then the ratio point of view is fine. Thanks!

I believe that angles have a dimension. The ratio theory is simply wrong. While I have a longer description, here is a summary. I'd like feedback on whether this makes sense, and whether giving it a dimension works with the various formulas that you might use in your work.
First a question: what is a quick mental approximation to sin(1.57)? If an angle were dimensionless there would be an answer. If we add a label such as radian or degree then you might be able to know the answer. But these are measurements, so what they are measuring has a dimension.
An angle in radians is determined by the length of an arc of a circle divided by the radius of the circle

f9CSERS said:
If I myself do not encounter any issue, till then the ratio point of view is fine. Thanks!
f9CSERS said:
Summary:: Radian measure of any angle is a real number and vice-versa. How?

Formula used : arc length = radius × angle (in radian).

I interpreted this as:
•Taking a unit circle, we get "angle (in radian) = arc length".

This means radian measure of an angle is arc length, which can be represented on a real number line. Hence, it is a real number.

Is this way to interpret correct? (I think it's not!)

I encountered a problem in my work, which is why I worked on this. In automating dimensional analysis, angles wound up with no units. That was a problem. Adding a unit was awkward because other units in SI (that I was using) have dimensions, so this unit would need to be implemented differently from others. This approach creates a dimension with the usual SI properties.

The formula m/m has not retained the notion that the numerator is an arc.
A Circle is a dimension in geometrical terms. To make it part of the SI, give it a base unit of measure. How about the "arc meter", or am? Measure 1 meter along a circle of radius 1 meter, and the angle with a vertex at the center and radii touching the arc's end points is 1 radian. The formula for this is am/m.

Last edited by a moderator:
BobF said:
I believe that angles have a dimension. The ratio theory is simply wrong.
Mathematics doesn't have theories, it has definitions.

BvU said:
That was in november 2020. The fluid nature of Wikipedia makes the links completely worthless and confusing.

I know next to nothing about the inner workings of Wikipedia, but I can see that there have been numerous edits since then.

Since I find this an intriguing subject: Plodding through the edits one actually can dig up the whole drama (kudos to Wikipedia on that one!) Sorry to rant on and on but here goes:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New text (or better: currect text)
Wikipedia said:
As the ratio of two lengths, the radian is a pure number. In fact, the radian is defined as 1.[4]
Still with a reference to ISO 80000-3:2006 :rolleyes: ?!?

[
reference ISO 80000-3:2006 is outdated and withdrawn. Now ISO 80000-3:2019 (-- probably identical for this topic--)​
page 137-138 here:​

1616158273535.png

1616158506726.png
]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old text

The radian is defined as 1. ##\qquad]##[reference ISO 80000-3:2006 ]

There is controversy as to whether it is satisfactory in the SI to consider angles to be dimensionless.

[
"SI units need reform to avoid confusion". Editorial. Nature. 548 (7666): 135. 7 August 2011.​
(lower half of this editorial)​
(there seem to be multiple links to the same stuff)​
]

This can lead to confusion when considering the units for frequency and the Planck constant.[4][7]
[
Mohr, J. C.; Phillips, W. D. (2015). "Dimensionless Units in the SI". Metrologia. 52 (1): 40–47. arXiv:1409.2794. Bibcode:2015Metro..52...40M. doi:10.1088/0026-1394/52/1/40. S2CID 3328342.​
Deemed flawed
]
[
Mills, I. M. (2016). "On the units radian and cycle for the quantity plane angle". Metrologia. 53 (3): 991–997. Bibcode:2016Metro..53..991M. doi:10.1088/0026-1394/53/3/991.​
]

These changes are dated January 23 , 2021. No more controversy.
Integrity of post #5 restored, I hope. Phew...

In short: the radian is a unit with a special name for a derived quantity that has dimension m/m

To boot: all this fuss about complications has nothing to do with the confusion of the OP :cool:

But the problems of @BobF remain. Introducing am/m renders a Taylor series for a sine illegal

##\ ##

BobF said:
The ratio theory is simply wrong.
As already stated by @PeroK, this isn't a "theory." It's a definition.
BobF said:
The formula m/m has not retained the notion that the numerator is an arc.
Why is that relevant? If you take a length of string of length 6 inches, does it matter whether the string is laid out straight or wrapped along a curve?

Likes BvU

1. What is a radian measure?

A radian measure is a unit of measurement for angles in a circle. It is defined as the ratio of the length of an arc on the circumference of a circle to the radius of the circle. This means that one radian is equal to the angle formed at the center of a circle when the length of the arc is equal to the radius.

2. How is radian measure different from degree measure?

Radian measure and degree measure are two different ways to measure angles. While degree measure divides a circle into 360 equal parts, radian measure uses the ratio of the length of an arc to the radius. This means that one radian is equal to approximately 57.3 degrees.

3. Can negative numbers be used in radian measure?

Yes, negative numbers can be used in radian measure. In this case, the angle is measured in the opposite direction, or clockwise, from the positive x-axis. This is similar to how negative numbers are used in degree measure.

4. How are real numbers used in radian measure?

Real numbers are used in radian measure to represent the measurement of an angle. Since radian measure is a continuous scale, any real number can be used to represent an angle. This allows for more precise measurements compared to using whole numbers in degree measure.

5. How is radian measure used in real-world applications?

Radian measure is used in many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate and measure angles in circular motion, such as the rotation of wheels, pendulums, and planets. It is also used in trigonometric functions to solve problems involving triangles and circles.