1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radians to seconds?

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given an equation such as f(t)=Rsin(ωt + θ)

find the value of f(t) when t=5s

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

What I'm not understanding is that generally a function sin(ωt + θ) describes what happens when the angle t changes. However the question gives t in seconds.

I'm pretty sure it is as simple as substituing 5 in for t but i'm not certain.

My assumption is that knowing the frequency (ω/2∏ - I think!) allows you to know how many cycles occur in 1 second.

So the frequency x t (5 x ω/2∏) gives you number of waves in 5 seconds - converting this to an angle by multiplying by 2∏ again leaves you with 5ω (ωt).

Therefore seconds = radians?

Can somebody confirm? Also - is my expression for frequency correct?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are mixing up angles and angular rates. The parameter ω has units of radians per second ant time t is in seconds, so ωt is in radians.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The units on ##\omega## would be radians/second; it's the angular velocity. Multiply by t seconds and you get ##\omega t## in radians, add that to ##\theta## in radians and the units of the argument are radians. Then take the sine of it. :smile:

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4
    Nooo - sorry I should have seen this coming...

I chose ω arbitrarily to represent an angle. Yes I know ω is angular velocity usually but think of it as just an angle in radians (I should have picked a less confusing symbol)

In any case it being the angular velocity wouldn't make any sense in what I had explained previously. I am simply asking if my assumption regarding the frequency and time is correct?

I.e. is substituing 5 in for t going to give me the right answer!

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In your expression sin(ωt + θ), both θ and ωt are angles, typically in radians, so ωt + θ also represents an angle.

Assuming you are measuring angles in radians, the only way that ωt can represent an angle when t is time is for ω to represent radians/time.

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6
    I see what you are saying - this is a question for a course in electrical engineering. So presumably in the general case for sine wave signals the coefficient of t is always the angular velocity of the wave?

So would the following statements be correct:

For the function Rsin(40∏t + ∏)

the frequency is 40∏/2∏ = 20Hz

and the period would be 2∏/40∏ = 0.05

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

9. Feb 20, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hey there, fonz! :cool:
    what's inside a sin (or cos or log or exp) must be an ordinary number

(a radian is an ordinary number)

sooo, if you have a time inside a sin (or log etc), it must be multiplied by a 1/time (or radian/time) :wink:

10. Feb 20, 2013 #9
    Right sussed that then.

Thanks for all your help and contributions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook