1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Radians vs degrees

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    Im teaching math and one of my students asked me something about trigonometry.

Say you are to generally solve:

sin(x + 1) = 0.5

And thats all the information you are given.

How would you know to solve for radians or degrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You don't. It's probably decided by the context: in mathematics alone I would always chose radians, but in a conversation with ordinary people, degrees might be a better choice. It's the same as with any units, take the appropriate ones in the context.

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

Svein

Science Advisor

If the problem is given as shown, the answer must be in radians. If degrees were meant, the problem should have been stated

sin(x + 1°) = 0.5

5. Feb 7, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

That's what I thought as well. "1" without degree sign means we are working with radians, otherwise adding 1 doesn't make sense. If the question is sin(2*x)=0.5 then we cannot tell.

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5

Svein

Science Advisor

Then you indicate what type of answer you have given, such as x = 15° or x = π/12.

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    Generally it is degree.

8. Feb 8, 2017 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Not if your degree is in mathematics.

9. Feb 8, 2017 #8

Mark44

The use of radians is much more prevalent in mathematics, especially at the level of calculus and above. All of the differentiation and integration formulas for the trig functions use radians exclusively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted