1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiating Heat

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    I'm reading about emission spectrums, and my text says that when an iron bar is heated until it's hot and glowing, the "warmth of the glowing bar represents the infrared portion of its emission spectrum".

Is it true that radiating heat is associated only with infrared EM waves?

~Jules~

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Dividing the electromagnetic spectrum up the way it is (x-ray, UV, visible, IR, radio, etc. etc.) is completely arbitrary (excepting the visible portion). The peak wavelength of thermal radiation from bodies is generally in the infrared portion of the spectrum, until temperatures get to several thousand degrees.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    There have been a similar thread recently. The frequency of the IR is related to the thermal movement. At higher frequency, for example in nm range, the oscillation is close to movement of electrons.

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
    thanks Andy

pixel I'm not sure what you mean, but thanks anyways. ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook