1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation and conduction

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

elephants have large ears because they need additional skin to balance the large amount of mass (to balance the heat eleminated from their skin with the heat generated by their body mass) by which methods of heat transfer do the ears eliminate excess body heat?

3. The attempt at a solution

radiation would be an obvious choice, but im wondering if it would be more accurate to say Convection and Radiation . any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm thinking of different answers. Compare the *amount* of heat transferred by each of the 3 traditional energy transfer mechanisms....

4. Dec 11, 2006 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well the ears give the elephants skin a large surface area. Which form of heat exchange would that benefit most?

5. Dec 11, 2006 #4
    so, is convection only applicable in fluids? I dont see why it wouldnt be both.

6. Dec 11, 2006 #5
    alright reading them over I would probably say it is only by Radiation. is this correct?

7. Dec 11, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Think about a radiator in a car as an anology. Why is it actually misnamed? How does the heat get from the engine to the metal of the radiator? What flows through the radiator, and why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?