Minimizing Radiation Decay for Tumors Treatment

In summary, the distance from the source to the tumor does not affect the amount of radiation received by the skin.
INtj
Let’s say you are irradiating a tumor that needs to receive a certain dose of energy. For the tumor to receive this radiation it must pass through the skin. Because it decays with r^2 the skin sees more radiation then the tumor and will always receive more (unless you use multiport not considered for this problem). The goal of minimizing this difference so as not to cause more cancer than you are treating lead to this statement: my prof claims that you can increase the distance of the patient from the source to minimize the radiation seen by the skin while still keeping the dose at the tumor site. He claims that as both r1 and r2 increase the difference become less important.

I feel this is not correct because if you work back from the tumor the skin will always see that same amount of radiation. Which way of thought is correct?

If anyone can follow that they are a guru of illogical thought at the very least.

INtj

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that the incident power is inversely proportional to r^2? i.e.

[tex] P = \frac{k}{r^2}[/tex]

If so, consider a linear approximation of the difference at a distance r.

[tex] \frac{dP}{dr} = \frac{-k}{2r^3}[/tex]
[tex] dP = \frac{-k}{2r^3}dr[/tex]
[tex] \Delta P = \frac{-k}{2r^3}\Delta r[/tex]

Notice that the difference in power between the skin and the tumor decreases the larger the distance to the skin is, since the denominator increases as r increases.

--J

Regardless of how far away the source is the tumor must receive the same amount of energy. So if I work in reverse order does the radiation the skin is exposed to remain constant with any distance? This would be accomplished by just increaseing the output from the machine. The way it was explained is that the further out you are the "flatter the decay graph". But if you work backwards from the tumor the skin will always see the same amount of radiation? I feel this is flawed logic becasue the magnitudes will be different but the values at the two points I care about (the skin and tumor) must remain constant.
INtj

The tumor receives the same amount of energy, regardless, yes. However, the skin receives more energy than the tumor. The amount more depends on the distance from the source.

Suppose the distance to the skin is r and the distance from the skin to the tumor is h. Then the distance to the tumor is (r + h). Then, from the previous equations, we have

[tex]\Delta P = \frac{-k}{2r^3}((r+h) - r) = \frac{-k}{2r^3}h[/tex]

For there to be no difference in energy received by the skin and the tumor, this difference must be zero. There's no way that they can be zero unless k is zero (there is no radiation being emitted) or h is zero (the tumor is the same distance from the source as the skin).

Now, when is this difference small and when is it large? What does this tell us about how far away we should set the source?

--J

if you are considering only inverse square losses in radiation intensity, then the relative intensity between the skin and tumour is
[tex]\frac{I_{tumour}}{I_{skin}}=(\frac{r-h}{r})^2[/tex]
where r is the source-tumour distance and h is the tumour depth (skin-tumour distance).

as r increases, [tex]r-h \rightarrow r[/tex], so this ratio approaches unity.

Last edited:
Justin Lazear said:
[tex]\Delta P = \frac{-k}{2r^3}((r+h) - r) = \frac{-k}{2r^3}h[/tex]

--J
I think this tells us the ratio will decrease but the absolute value of the radiation difference will remain the same if the tumor is required to get the same amount of rads.

then consider this.

if r = source-tumour distance, h = tumour depth (skin-tumour distance), then the radiation intensities at the skin and the tumour are proportional to the inverse square of their distances.
[tex]I_{tumour} \alpha \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]I_{skin} \alpha \frac{1}{(r-h)^2}[/tex]
The ratio of the two intensities approaches unity as r increases. The absolute difference between the two is
[tex]I_{skin} - I_{tumour} \alpha \frac{1}{(r-h)^2} - \frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]
as r increases, you again have [tex](r-h) \rightarrow r[/tex], so this difference approaches 0.

there will still be a difference, but as your prof said, the differences become less important as r increases.

plug in some numbers and see for yourself.

Last edited:
INtj said:
I think this tells us the ratio will decrease but the absolute value of the radiation difference will remain the same if the tumor is required to get the same amount of rads.

What? The ratio of the values is different, but the values themselves are the same?

2/5 = .4, and 5 - 2 = 3
4/5 = .8, and 5 - 4 = 1
5/5 = 1, and 5 - 5 = 0

but maybe
5/5 = .4, and 5 - 5 = 0.
and
4/5 = .4, and 5 - 4 = 1.

Plus, the equation doesn't tell you anything about the ratio. For a sufficiently smooth curve and a sufficiently small [itex]\Delta r[/itex], it approximates the difference quite well. You can even test it on functions you trust. Like 1/x^2. Or e^-x.

Are you trying to get somebody to just tell you you're right, or are you trying to understand why you're wrong?

--J

What is radiation decay?

Radiation decay is the process in which a radioactive substance, such as those used in cancer treatment, releases energy in the form of radiation. This radiation can cause damage to the surrounding tissue, so minimizing it is important in tumor treatment.

How does radiation decay affect tumor treatment?

Radiation decay can be both beneficial and harmful in tumor treatment. On one hand, it can help destroy cancerous cells. However, it can also cause damage to healthy cells and tissues, leading to side effects. Therefore, minimizing radiation decay is crucial to ensure the best outcome for the patient.

What methods are used to minimize radiation decay in tumor treatment?

There are several methods used to minimize radiation decay in tumor treatment. These include intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), proton therapy, and brachytherapy, among others. These techniques aim to deliver precise doses of radiation to the tumor while minimizing exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.

What are the potential side effects of radiation decay in tumor treatment?

The potential side effects of radiation decay in tumor treatment vary depending on the location and size of the tumor, the type of radiation used, and the individual's overall health. Common side effects include fatigue, skin irritation, and hair loss. More serious side effects, such as damage to organs, are possible but rare.

How can radiation decay be monitored and controlled during tumor treatment?

Radiation decay can be monitored and controlled through frequent imaging scans, such as CT scans or MRIs, to track the size and location of the tumor. Additionally, treatment plans are carefully designed and adjusted as needed to ensure the most effective and safe delivery of radiation to the tumor.