Calculating Radiation Dose Rate for Ra-223 at Varying Distances

In summary, the formula for calculating the dose rate at 30 micrometres is 20 mSv per hour multiplied by 10 micrometres and divided by 30 micrometres. This equals 6.7 mSv per hour, rounded to one decimal place. The calculation follows the inverse square rule, where the dose rate decreases as the distance from the source increases. The numbers should not be squared for this calculation.
Dariush
I just want to know the formula for the following question: If the dose rate from a sample of Ra-223 was found to be 20 mSv per hour at 10 micrometres, calculate the dose rate at 30 micrometres. Show your calculations. Give your answer to one decimal place.

I think it is 20 mSv x 10 micrometres / 30 micrometres, but I am not sure if I have to convert to metres or not (if not I get 6.6).

Thanks in advance! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are punctual (but at 30 micro meter It is not sure) you must applied an inverse square rule

Ok, I have done the calculation because I think I have to square the numbers, right? And I got 2.2222222?

Yes 20/9 but I m sure that you are punctual

1. What is radiation dose calculation?

Radiation dose calculation is the process of determining the amount of radiation that is absorbed by an object or person. It is used to measure the potential risk of exposure to radiation and to ensure that the radiation levels are within a safe range.

2. How is radiation dose calculated?

Radiation dose is calculated by multiplying the dose rate (measured in units of radiation per unit time) by the time of exposure. This gives the total amount of radiation that is absorbed by the object or person.

3. What factors affect radiation dose calculation?

The factors that affect radiation dose calculation include the type of radiation, the energy of the radiation, the distance from the radiation source, and the shielding present. These factors can impact the intensity and amount of radiation that is absorbed.

4. Why is radiation dose calculation important?

Radiation dose calculation is important because it helps to determine the potential health risks associated with exposure to radiation. It is also used to ensure that radiation levels are within safe limits for workers and the general public.

5. How is radiation dose calculation used in the medical field?

In the medical field, radiation dose calculation is used to determine the appropriate amount of radiation to use in diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. It is also used to monitor and minimize the radiation exposure of patients and medical staff during these procedures.