1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation dose rate

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Some people are standing at a distance of 3 m from an unshielded 60Co γ-ray source of activity
    10^9 Bq. What radiation dose rate are they receiving? (Each disintegration of 60Co produces a
    β particle of 0.3 MeV maximum energy with a range 0.8 m in air, and two γ rays, one of 1.2 MeV and one of 1.3 MeV, in quick cascade).

2. Relevant equations

dDose/dt = AE/r^2

A = activity
    E = energy of photons
    r = distance from source

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm at a bit of a loose end with this question as i've not been given any guidance - perhaps someone could suggest a relevant website to explain?
    Due to the Beta particle travelling only 0.8m does this mean it doesn't reach the people standing 3m away? or does it decay into other particles?
    Do i at some point calculate the flux of the rays? as i put the r^2 term in as i assumed it to be like a point source and diverging away (thus a 1/r^2 relation)

Thanks for any help and guidance on this question!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. An electron is an elementary particle, it cannot decay. It can produce Bremsstrahlung (photons), but that can be neglected I think - even if its total energy would be converted to Bremsstrahlung, 0.3 MeV << (1.2 MeV + 1.3 MeV).

That is fine for the radiation per area. You might need some additional conversion to get a radiation dose rate for those humans.

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    Ok... so do i just multiply it by the approximate area of a human?

I would have Radiation/area * area(of human) = radiation dose/per time(comes from the activity)

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If humans absorb every photon which hits them, right. As an upper estimate, this should be fine.

6. Dec 11, 2012 #5
    This is a poorly worded question and you should tak your instructor (or the editor of the book) to task. The formula is (usually) the exposure rate, not the dose rate since not all gammas that pass through the body will be absorbed completely. In addition, the inverse square law applies only to point particles or geometries that approximate point particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook