Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radiation Dose

1. Dec 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached the question below.

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure how to answer the question.

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by calculating the specific dose rates for each isotope, but I cannot get any data for 90Sr using: http://www.nucleide.org/Laraweb/index.php

This is what I have so far.

For 1000 Bq of 137Cs, 850 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 662 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 84 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 1 μCi this is 84 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x 37 GBq = 3108 μSv/h.

For 1000 Bq of 131I, 810 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 364 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 0.4 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 2 μCi this is 0.4 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x (2X37 GBq) = 2.96X105 μSv/h.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2017 #2
    There is confusion between external dose (your calculation) and internal dose ( your problem)

4. Jan 3, 2018 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Could you give me some tips on how to answer this question please?

5. Jan 4, 2018 #4
    Hi,
    For that you must use "Dose coefficients for intakes of radionuclide"
    But if you have never heard of it, it may be complicated

6. Jan 4, 2018 #5
    I would like your help if possible. I haven't covered this material.

I have been recommended the following book, do you know if it will cover this material?

Radiation Detection and Measurement (3rd Edition) Glenn F Knoll (Wiley)

Thanks

7. Jan 4, 2018 #6
  8. Jan 8, 2018 #7
    I'm trying to finish an assignment which is to help me in my exam, but I am very stuck on three questions.

If I find out how to answer question 7, will I be able to answer 8 and 9? I really need a good resource.

Quesitons attached below.

KOopznc.jpg

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted