1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radiation Dose

1. Dec 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have attached the question below.

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure how to answer the question.

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by calculating the specific dose rates for each isotope, but I cannot get any data for 90Sr using: http://www.nucleide.org/Laraweb/index.php

This is what I have so far.

For 1000 Bq of 137Cs, 850 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 662 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 84 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 1 μCi this is 84 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x 37 GBq = 3108 μSv/h.

For 1000 Bq of 131I, 810 photons per second are emitted with an energy of 364 keV. This equals a specific dose rate of 0.4 μSv/h/GBq at one meter. For 2 μCi this is 0.4 μSv/h/GBq x 10-6 x (2X37 GBq) = 2.96X105 μSv/h.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2017 #2
    There is confusion between external dose (your calculation) and internal dose ( your problem)

4. Jan 3, 2018 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Could you give me some tips on how to answer this question please?

5. Jan 4, 2018 #4
    Hi,
    For that you must use "Dose coefficients for intakes of radionuclide"
    But if you have never heard of it, it may be complicated

6. Jan 4, 2018 #5
    I would like your help if possible. I haven't covered this material.

I have been recommended the following book, do you know if it will cover this material?

Radiation Detection and Measurement (3rd Edition) Glenn F Knoll (Wiley)

Thanks

7. Jan 4, 2018 #6
  8. Jan 8, 2018 #7
    I'm trying to finish an assignment which is to help me in my exam, but I am very stuck on three questions.

If I find out how to answer question 7, will I be able to answer 8 and 9? I really need a good resource.

Quesitons attached below.

KOopznc.jpg

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted