Radiation and Plants: Do They Mix?

In summary, radiation does affect plants, but the degree of effect depends on the energy of the radiation.
nuclear-boy
hi,

does radiation have an effect on plants?

thanks in advance, alf

Engineering news on Phys.org
Radiation would damage plant cells the same as anything else, but I would guess the effect would be even less than on simple organisms like insects which can withstand 10-100x more radiation dose than humans can.

Radiation does affect plants, however they are generally less sensitive to it. The majority of plants such as tree's for example, are dead or slowly dividing. These cells are therefore less likely to experience the negative effects of radiation. The fast growing parts of plants and tree's would be at the greatest risk of negative effects. Still I would guess that plants could survive radiation does of more than 10-100 times what would kill mammals.

The proper answer to this question depends on the energy of the radiation we are discussing. Yes, gamma (high frequency) radiation will harm it just as gamma's will harm us; the degree of harm a plant will experience as compared to a person I do not know.

I point out the energy of the radiation because if we are talking about lower energy (lower frequency) radiation in comparison to gamma, then the plant will undergo photosynthesis which is vital to it staying alive.

The answer to your question nuclear-boy, requires a yes/no type answer, and in both scenarios I have just provided, and any other way you want to look at the question ('does radiation affect plants?'), all answers are "yes".

rod_worth said:
The proper answer to this question depends on the energy of the radiation we are discussing. Yes, gamma (high frequency) radiation will harm it just as gamma's will harm us; the degree of harm a plant will experience as compared to a person I do not know.

I point out the energy of the radiation because if we are talking about lower energy (lower frequency) radiation in comparison to gamma, then the plant will undergo photosynthesis which is vital to it staying alive.

The answer to your question nuclear-boy, requires a yes/no type answer, and in both scenarios I have just provided, and any other way you want to look at the question ('does radiation affect plants?'), all answers are "yes".

Hmm that is an interesting point. I wonder what the cutoff energy for photosynthesis is.

QuantumPion said:
Hmm that is an interesting point. I wonder what the cutoff energy for photosynthesis is.

Plants use light between 400-700 nm wavelength (or 1.7-3 eV), i.e. the same energy level that we see with our eyes. Gamma radiation is way shorter in wavelength (more energetic) with energies of keV to MeV.

jarvik said:
Plants use light between 400-700 nm wavelength (or 1.7-3 eV), i.e. the same energy level that we see with our eyes. Gamma radiation is way shorter in wavelength (more energetic) with energies of keV to MeV.

Thanks for finding that out!

thanks for all of your help, i greatly appreciate it :)

What is radiation?

Radiation is a form of energy that is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves or particles. It can occur naturally, such as from the sun or radioactive materials, or it can be man-made, such as from X-rays or nuclear power plants.

How does radiation affect plants?

Exposure to radiation can have various effects on plants, depending on the dose and duration of exposure. It can cause changes in plant growth, reproduction, and metabolism. High doses of radiation can also lead to cell damage and death.

What types of radiation are harmful to plants?

The most harmful types of radiation for plants are usually ionizing radiation, which has enough energy to remove electrons from atoms, and ultraviolet (UV) radiation, which can damage DNA and impair photosynthesis.

Can plants benefit from radiation exposure?

In small doses, radiation exposure can actually have some beneficial effects on plants. For example, low levels of radiation can stimulate plant growth and enhance seed germination. However, higher doses can be harmful and even lethal to plants.

Are there any safety measures to protect plants from radiation?

Yes, there are several safety measures that can be taken to protect plants from radiation. These include shielding plants from direct exposure, limiting the duration of exposure, and implementing decontamination procedures in case of accidental exposure.