Exploring the Start of the Radiation Epoch

• I
  • Thread starter PeteSampras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the radiation epoch begins after the inflation epoch ends and lasts from 10^-36 seconds to 10^-33 or 10^-32 seconds after the Big Bang singularity. Its scale factor is characterized by a ≈ t1/2. The end of the epoch occurs before ρr equals ρm, but the exact value for this ratio (R) is not well defined. Once the transition to the matter epoch occurs, the scale factor is characterized by a ≈ t2/3.
PeteSampras
When begin the radiation epoch with scale factor ~t1/2 ?

I read in some text that this begin at Planck time, but in other texs says that begin approx at 3 minutes.

Space news on Phys.org
Hi Pete:
I am not sure how to define the beginning and end of the radiation epoch, but I will take a crack at it.

The beginning
The radiation epoch must come after the inflation epoch ends, since the scale factor during inflation is
a ≈ et.​

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
The inflationary epoch lasted from 10−36 seconds after the conjectured Big Bang singularity to sometime between 10−33 and 10−32 seconds after the singularity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology) .​

You are correct that the radiation epoch is characterized by
a ≈ t1/2.​

The end
I don't think there is a well defined criterion for this. The end will occur before ρr, the mass-energy density of radiation (photons) equals the mass-energy density of matter ρm. The problem is deciding on the value of the ratio
R = ρr : ρm > 1​
to use for the end of the radiation epoch and the start of the transition to the matter epoch. When that transition ends, the matter epoch is characterized by
a ≈ t2/3.​

If you specify the value you want to use for R, it is easy to calculate the value of a which corresponds to this R value. Calculating the corresponding value for t is more difficult.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the radiation epoch?

The radiation epoch is a period of time in the early universe, approximately 380,000 years after the Big Bang, when the universe was filled with a hot, dense plasma of particles and radiation.

2. How did the radiation epoch begin?

The radiation epoch began when the universe cooled down enough for protons and electrons to combine and form neutral atoms. This process is known as recombination.

3. What was the temperature during the radiation epoch?

The temperature during the radiation epoch was approximately 3,000 kelvin, which is much cooler than the earlier stages of the universe.

4. How did the radiation epoch end?

The radiation epoch ended when the universe expanded and cooled to a temperature of about 3 kelvin, known as the cosmic microwave background temperature. This allowed the neutral atoms to form into stars, galaxies, and other structures that we see in the universe today.

5. What can we learn from studying the radiation epoch?

Studying the radiation epoch can give us important insights into the early universe, including the conditions that led to the formation of galaxies and the distribution of matter in the universe. It also provides evidence for the Big Bang theory and helps us understand the evolution of the universe.