1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation Equilibrium

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem comes from Frank Attix's book Intro to Radiological Physics and Rad Dosimetry.
    From ch. 4 - problem #1:

Approximately what diameter for a sphere of water would be required to approach radiation equilibrium wihin 1% at its center, assuming it contains a uniform dilute solution of 60Cobalt (1.25 MeV gamma rays). Use u(en) and u as approximations to the effective gamma ray attenuation coefficient; this will over- and under-estimate the size respectively.

2. Relevant equations

u - is the attenuation coefficient for primary photons only
    u(en) - is the effective attenuation coefficient for ideal broad beam attenuation

Attix gives the solutions as 312 cm and 144 cm

3. The attempt at a solution

I come close to one of the answers but I'm not sure how u and u(en) come into play here.

(4/3) pi r^3 = .01(1.25MeV).

This gives r = .144
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2
    This thread can be disregarded. I was able to solve the problem.

The solution to this problem is to use exponential attenuation:

N = N(0) exp(-uL). The approach is to solve for L for given u and u(en) values when 99% of the photons are allowed to pass thru the sphere.
  4. Sep 19, 2009 #3

hi..one of my classmates has asked about this problem too, i was thinking of this solution too, but i cant find the real values for u(en) and u...

i would like to ask, where can i find those values, i keep searching the net but gave me none... hope you would help us.

andy from philippines

God bless
  5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
  6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    thank you so much kmoh111

God bless :)
  7. Sep 24, 2009 #6
    hi me again :(

ive tried to solve the problem using exponential attenuation but i always got a different answer...however i tried to use equation 3.14 (build up factor) in attix book... where B is approximately equal to 1.06... here's how it went..

0.99 = (1.06) exp(-uL) and 0.99 = (1.06) exp(u(en)L)

i used u = 0.46903 and u(en)= 0.216626 (this is base from the link that you've given me before)

but i got, L = 0.145 cm and L = 0.313 cm :( Attix gives the solutions as 312 cm and 144 cm

did i lack something in my equation? :(

pls help us...any comments will be very much appreciated

million thanks..

andy :(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?