1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation fields calculus

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    Hello.Looking at Jackson's ch 9 on radiation, I am trying to calculate the fields E and B from the potentials in the far field but it is very confusing. Given now the approximation for he vector potential

[tex] \textbf{A}_{\omega}(x) = -ik \frac{e^{ikr}}{r} \textbf{P}_{\omega} [/tex]

with [tex]\textbf{P}_{\omega} = \int{d^{3}x^{\prime} \textbf{x}^{\prime} \rho_{\omega} (\textbf{x}^{\prime})} [/tex] the electric dipole moment. The fields are the calculated from

[tex]\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x) = \nabla\times\textbf{A}_{\omega}(x) [/tex] and [tex]\textbf{E}_{\omega}(x)= \frac{i}{k}\nabla\times\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x)[/tex]
    So first I tried to computed the B fiels and I get to an expression like

[tex]\textbf{B}_{\omega}(x) = \Big[k^2 \frac{e^{ikr}}{r} + ik\frac{e^{ikr}}{r^2}\Big](\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega} ) + \Big[-ik\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} (\nabla\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})\Big][/tex]

and it seems that [tex]\nabla\times\textbf{P}_{\omega} =0 [/tex] but I am not sute why exactly. I think maybe that the dipole is calculated at the prime coordinates and so the curl is with respect to the not prime coordinates so maybe that's why. Also I am confused on how to proceed with the calculations for the E field

[tex]\textbf{E}_{\omega}(x)= \frac{i}{k} \Big[\big(k^3\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} - k^2\frac{e^ikr}{r^2}\big)[\hat{n}\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})] + k^2\frac{e^{ikr}}{r} \nabla\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega})\Big][/tex]

I believe the second term must vanish as i suspect from the result but don't why again. Also the dipole moment which direction has?

I tried to investigate the second term using the vector identity relevant here so

[tex] \nabla\times(\hat{n}\times\textbf{P}_{\omega}) =\hat{n}(\nabla\cdot\textbf{P}_{\omega}) - \textbf{P}_{\omega}(\nabla\cdot\hat{n}) + (\textbf{P}_{\omega}\cdot\nabla)\hat{n}- (\hat{n}\cdot\nabla)\textbf{P}_{\omega} [/tex]

Is this thing zero and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

All the vector operations on ## P_{\omega} ## are zero because ## P_{\omega} ## is just a constant. The vector operations on ## \hat{n} ## I think need a little consideration, but I think ## \hat{n}=1\hat{a_r} ## in spherical coordinates. You can google the operations of curl and divergence in spherical coordinates. I think the curl vanishes, but not the divergence. The ## P_{\omega}\cdot \nabla \hat{n} ## term also needs to be carefully evaluated. I think this last term is zero because the "1" in front of ## \hat{a_r} ## is a constant. ## \\ ## Just an additional comment: I think the first equation for ## A_{\omega} ## comes from the polarization current formula ## J_p=\dot{P} ## along with ## A(x)=\int {\frac{J(x')}{c|x-x'|} } \, d^3x' ##. (My formula for ## A ## may be a steady state formula, so I may need to do some further reading on the subject). ## \ ## In the ## x' ## integral, the sinusoidal dipole is assumed to be localized near the origin.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted