Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation heat Pump

1. Aug 8, 2008 #1
    if everything emits radiation, if you can stop the radiation from a hot body to a cold one but let the radiation from the cold to the hot you would have a type of heat pump.if you had a sphere (the hot body )with a vaccuum in it and a relativey small cold body in the middle perhaps the electromagnetic radiation from the sphere to the middle cold body can be bent so that it misses the cold body. Is this just silly thinking? what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's silly thinking.

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3
    Are you going to tell me why it dosn't work, is it that we can't really bend radiation?

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be tricky to make an optical system that could deflect all infrared wavelengths from a sphere to miss a sphere in the centre.
    BUT even assuming you could, the optical system would itself heat up to the same temperature as the outer sphere - and then it would radiate just as much heat to the inner cold sphere.

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    I know that the cold body would have to be relatively hot to our tempertures say 1500 degree C as otherwise the area of it would have to be huge to radiate any decent amount of radiation. It would be a heat pump in the higher tempertures. Why will this not work? Simple terms please not high physics.

7. Aug 9, 2008 #6
    thankyou mgb phys, I take it we have no other way to bend eletromagnetic radiation other than refraction or positioning black holes around it.

8. Aug 10, 2008 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

9. Aug 11, 2008 #8
    thats the thing you see I don't beleive the second law of thermodynamics , I think we just have not discovered how to do it. In fact I think people believing this "law" is hindering thinking.

10. Aug 11, 2008 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You are entitled to believe whatever you want - but that isn't physics and so there is nothing to discuss here.

Please don't waste your life chasing ghosts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?