1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation lamp to heat pizza

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Cheese Board Pizza just hired me to design a radiant pizza warming system. The pizza must be maintained at 250 F until the order is picked up by the delivery driver. The one square foot pizza sits on a ½ inch thick ceramic pan (k = 0.50 BTU /hr ft F) on a counter that is at 85 F. A fan blows air at 70 F over the top of the pizza (the convective film coefficient is estimated to be 2.0 BTU / hr ft2 F). the emissivity (ε) of the pizza is 0.60.

How hot must the radiant heat lamp be to keep the pizza at the desired temperature ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hello, I am having some confusion over if the blackbody radiates energy, as well as the pizza radiating energy back at the lamp, which can be approximated as a blackbody.

I originally had 4 terms, a convection and conduction term leaving the pizza, a radiation term leaving the pizza, and a radiation term from the blackbody going to the pizza. However, if I consider the blackbody radiation, I have no equation to find the Q because I don't know the view factor F12 since I don't have a ratio of the smaller side/distance between planes.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

Solved disregard

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, but now I'm hungry... :smile:

5. May 1, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I like pizza.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted