Proof for Radiation Momentum Transfer to Perfect Absorber?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for momentum transferred by a wave onto a perfect absorber, which is stated in the textbook without proof. The individual is looking for a simple proof and attempts to rationalize it using equations for kinetic energy and momentum. The conversation also touches on the derivation for a light wave and the use of the photon equation. Further explanation is given and the individual expresses gratitude for the help.
Kenny Lee
My textbook states without proof that p, the momentum transferred by a wave onto a perfect absorber (normal incidence), is U/ c, where U is the total energy delivered in some time interval.

Is there a simple proof for this? Just something to help me rationalize. I tried equating kinetic energy to U. Then I set mv equal to p. But what I get is 2U/c, which is the p for a perfect reflector.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about a light wave? If you are the derivation is quite simple;

Momentum is given by;
[tex]p = mc[/tex]

Relativistic mass;
[tex]E = mc^2 \Rightarrow \frac{E}{c} = mc[/tex]

Combining the equations;
[tex]p =\frac{E}{c}[/tex]

Using photon equation;
[tex]\fbox{E = hf \Rightarrow p = \frac{hf}{c}}[/tex]

I think this is the answer your textbook is looking for. However, you can go further;
[tex]f = \frac{c}{\lambda} \Rightarrow p = \frac{hc}{\lambda c}[/tex]
[tex]p = \frac{h}{\lambda}[/tex]

Hope this helps :smile:

Last edited:
It helped. Thanks very much.

What is radiation momentum transfer?

Radiation momentum transfer is the transfer of momentum from a radiation field, such as light or electromagnetic waves, to an object or particle. This transfer occurs when the object absorbs or reflects the radiation, resulting in a change in its momentum.

What is a perfect absorber?

A perfect absorber is an object or material that absorbs all of the radiation that falls on it, with no reflection or transmission. This means that the object absorbs 100% of the energy from the radiation, resulting in a maximum transfer of momentum.

How is radiation momentum transfer to a perfect absorber proven?

The proof for radiation momentum transfer to a perfect absorber is based on the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. By analyzing the interaction between the radiation field and the perfect absorber, it can be shown that the total momentum of the system before and after the interaction remains the same, thus proving the transfer of momentum to the absorber.

What are some real-life applications of radiation momentum transfer?

Radiation momentum transfer has numerous applications, such as solar sails for spacecraft propulsion, laser cooling and trapping of atoms, and the transfer of momentum in chemical reactions. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments.

Are there any limitations to the proof for radiation momentum transfer to a perfect absorber?

While the proof for radiation momentum transfer to a perfect absorber is based on fundamental physical principles, it does have limitations. The proof assumes that the perfect absorber is a point-like object, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the proof does not take into account the effects of other forces, such as gravity, which may impact the transfer of momentum in certain situations.