Radiation of gluon jets - Peskin final project question

In summary, radiation of gluon jets is the emission of high-energy gluons from a high-energy quark or gluon, forming a collimated spray of particles known as a jet. This process is studied through experiments at particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, in order to better understand the fundamental forces and particles of our universe. It can also impact the properties of particle collisions and has potential practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and radiation therapy.
omrihar
Hello,
this is the first time I post here, so if this is not in the correct section please let me know...

I'm working on solving the first final project in peskin - Radiation of gluon jets.
In this project we assume a simplified model for the gluon - it is a massive vector boson (with a small mass [tex]\mu[/tex] to regulate IR singularities) which couples universally to quarks.

The first task is to compute the diagram contributing to [tex]e^+e^-\rightarrow \bar{q}q[/tex] with one virtual gluon. This gives a contribution to [tex]F_1(q^2)[/tex] of the gluon. After quite a lengthy calculation I reached the following correction (omitting constants):

[tex]
\delta F_1(q^2) = \int_0^1 dxdydz\delta(x+y+z-1)\int\frac{d^4 w}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{4q^2-2w^2}{[w^2-z\mu^2+xyq^2+i\epsilon]^3}
[/tex]

where I have defined q to be the sum of the electron and positron incoming momenta ([tex]q = p+p'[/tex]).

In the instructions provided in the text it is said to regulate this integral by doing the substitution [tex]\delta F_1(q^2) \rightarrow \delta F_1(q^2)-\delta F_1(q^2=0)[/tex].
My problem is that it seems to me that there is a branch-cut singularity in this expression, since [tex]q^2 = E_{CM}^2 > 0[/tex].

So my questions are as follows:
  1. Am I correct in stating that there is a branch-cut singularity here?
  2. Does it make sense to have such a singularity here?
  3. What would you suggest to do in order to continue this calculation?

Thanks in advance to any help and insights, and again if this is the wrong place to post I apologize and hope you can point me out to the right direction...

Omri

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Omri,

Thank you for sharing your progress on the first final project in Peskin. It's great to see fellow scientists discussing and working on these problems together.

To answer your questions, yes, you are correct in stating that there is a branch-cut singularity in your expression. This is due to the fact that q^2 can take on positive values, leading to a square-root singularity. This is a common occurrence in calculations involving virtual particles.

While it may seem concerning, it is actually expected and does not invalidate your calculation. In fact, it is a sign that you are on the right track. In order to continue your calculation, you can use standard techniques such as contour integration or Cauchy's residue theorem to handle the branch-cut singularity and obtain a well-defined result.

As for whether it makes sense to have such a singularity, it is a natural consequence of the model you are working with. However, it is important to keep in mind that this is a simplified model and in reality, gluons do not have a mass and therefore do not have a branch-cut singularity. This is just a theoretical exercise to understand the behavior of gluon radiation.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in completing your project. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

1. What is radiation of gluon jets?

Radiation of gluon jets is a process in which high-energy gluons are emitted from a high-energy quark or gluon and form a collimated spray of particles called a jet. This process is a key feature of quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and plays a crucial role in particle physics experiments.

2. How is radiation of gluon jets studied?

Radiation of gluon jets is studied primarily through experiments at particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. High-energy proton-proton collisions produce jets of particles, and scientists use detectors to measure the properties of these jets and study the radiation patterns of the emitted gluons.

3. What is the purpose of studying radiation of gluon jets?

Studying radiation of gluon jets allows us to better understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also helps us test and refine our theories, such as QCD, and search for new particles or phenomena that may be present in the high-energy collisions.

4. How does radiation of gluon jets affect particle collisions?

Radiation of gluon jets can impact the properties of a particle collision in several ways. For example, the presence of gluon radiation can alter the overall energy and momentum of the particles in the collision, leading to different final states and resulting in different observed events.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying radiation of gluon jets?

While the primary purpose of studying radiation of gluon jets is for fundamental research, there are also potential practical applications. Understanding the properties of jets and the underlying QCD processes can improve our ability to accurately model and simulate particle collisions, which is important for various technological applications, such as medical imaging and radiation therapy.