What is the magnitude of force exerted on Venus by solar radiation?

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of force that solar radiation would exert on Venus if the planet absorbed all photons incident on it. The equation Nhc/λ=L is used to solve for the number of photons, but since Venus is smaller than the sun, it will not absorb all photons. The ratio between the cross section area of Venus and the area of a sphere of the radius of Venus's orbit is needed to find the correct answer. The final equation is F=N(incident)xp.
cwatki14
If Venus (of radius R = 6050 km) absorbed all photons incident on it from the Sun, what magnitude of force would the solar radiation exert on Venus? Assume the effective wavelength of solar radiation is 550 nm and the solar luminosity is 3.78 x 1026 W.

I know that Nhc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]=L
where N is the number of photons being emitted and L is the luminosity.
I also know F=Ndp/dt. where p is the momentum. p=h/[tex]\lambda[/tex]
where h is Planck's constant.

Basically I solved for N using the first equations, but since Venus is smaller than the sun, it won't absorb all the photons the sun emits, only some. So I took the ratio between the radius of venus and the sun and multiplied it by n to get the percent of the photons incident to venus.
I think used the wavelength they gave me to calculate p. Finally I took N(incident)xp=F. This however was wrong... Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
No - you need the ratio between the cross section area of Venus and the area of a sphere of the radius of Venus's orbit. Think what a microscopic percentage of the Sun's 'sky' is filled by Venus.

so ill take (pi r^2)/(4/3 pi r^3)? where r is the radius of venus?

No you need areas on both sides , the result must be dimensionless.
Think of the disc of venus as seen from the sun - it's (cross section) area is = pi r_venus^2
Then the whole sky as seen by the sun at that distance is the surface area of a sphere = 4 pi r_orbit^2

So the ratio is = r_venus^2 / 4 * r_orbit^2

where r_venus is the radius of venus and r_orbit is the radius of venus's orbit around the sun

1. What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of energy through waves or particles. It can be in the form of electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves, or in the form of particles, such as alpha or beta particles.

2. What are photons?

Photons are particles of light and are the smallest unit of electromagnetic radiation. They have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They can also behave as both particles and waves.

3. How does radiation interact with matter?

Radiation can interact with matter in three ways: absorption, scattering, and ionization. In absorption, the energy from the radiation is transferred to the matter. In scattering, the direction of the radiation is changed when it encounters matter. In ionization, the radiation can cause atoms or molecules to lose or gain electrons, creating charged particles.

4. What is the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation?

Ionizing radiation has enough energy to ionize atoms or molecules, while non-ionizing radiation does not. This means that ionizing radiation can cause damage to living cells and DNA, while non-ionizing radiation is generally considered safe for humans.

5. How does radiation exert force?

Radiation exerts force through the transfer of momentum. When photons, which have momentum, strike an object, their momentum is transferred to the object, causing a force to be exerted. This force can be used in technologies such as solar sails, where the force of sunlight is used to propel a spacecraft.