1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Radiation Physicst

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    Hi all.

Today at school at I saw a poster on radiation physics. I have never thought about taking courses in this area of physics, but it seems very applied, so I am interested in knowing more about this.

Is it possible to get a job at e.g. a medical center/hospital doing research if you have only studied radiation physics, and not medical physics/biophysics in general? And if this wouldn't work out, do you know if there is being research done in this area anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Radiation physics could include a lot of things.

In relation to medical physics radiation physics might include Monte Carlo transport algorithms, nano-scale track structure, accelerator design, detector design, instrumentation (for example a study of the performance of circuits/devices when subject to radiation - this has applications in medicine and space), medical applications of high LET radiation, etc.

In general, if you're interested in working in a hospital with physics, medical physics is the way to go.

4. May 22, 2009 #3
    How would you rate the chances of a "pure" physicst with considerable experience in radiation to be able to work at a medical center/hospital doing the above mentioned things?

The reason why I am asking is because the biophysical courses at my college are mostly courses in chemistry and biochemistry, so I am not so sure how applied they are.

5. May 23, 2009 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

As I said, if you're really interested in working in a hospital with radiation, medical physics is the way to go. The best path towards getting there is an undergraduate degree in physics ('pure' physics), followed by a graduate degree in medical physics.
    Note that to get into a medical physics program, you don't generally need any courses other than those you would pursue in a regular undergraduate physics program (although exact requirements do vary from school to school).

You can get into the field with say a Ph.D. in another area of physics, but this avenue is shrinking rapidly - largely because you would be competing with graduates coming from certified medical physics programs. I can't give you exact odds on the matter because it's a supply and demand issue.

Biophysics tends more to do with the physics of interactions on the biochemical level. The biophysicists I know, spend a lot of time working out the kinetics of different drugs - work that ultimately can suggest more lucrative avenues of research for pharmeceuticals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook