1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation problem

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a sensor onboard a satellite that is faced towards Earth, from the Sun. The LW absorptivity is 0.8 (a_LW) and SW is 0.2 (a_SW).
    I need to find a equation for the temperature as a function of time. Given datas is the Area=0.3 m^2 and Specific Heat of 4 J/K

2. Relevant equations
    See below.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that I need to calculate the equilibrium temperature, which I did by using T=((a_sw/a_LW)*(Fs/omega))^1/4,
    Fs=solar flux=1368 W/m^2 and omega= Stefan-Boltsmann constant.

Later, one equation that I have in mind for the temperature as a function of time is:
    m*c*(dT/dt)=A*omega*T^4 , where A= area and m= mass. The sensor might be really small, so the mass m is negligible (?). What should I do now, I'm stuck.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2
    Have you thought of anything else to help solve the problem?

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A negligible mass is equivalent to a satellite that is always at its equilibrium temperature .

You'll have different areas for absorption of sunlight and emission of infrared light, and those areas depend on the orientation of the satellte.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted