Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Radiation protecting plastic

Tags:
  1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    Some days ago, i read, that there is a plastic, that should be capable of protecting from interstellar radiation.

I would be interested in further information about this plastic. Someone here who has some material, i could take a look at?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello entrance, :welcome:

Do you have a reference (where did you read it) ?

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A quick Google search turned up this: http://www.space.com/21561-space-exploration-radiation-protection-plastic.html
    :smile:

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, Berk! There is a substantial amount of information in Cary Zeitlin's 2013 article in 'Space Weather' . LRO seems to be in operation still, but I haven't found an update on the radiation shielding.

6. Dec 23, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The key phrase is "pound for pound". The reason people like lead is that it puts a lot of pounds in a small space. But hydrogen is, pound for pound, the best shielding you can get. The problem is you need a depth more than 1000x great as thick as lead to get the same shielding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted