1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiative Heat Transfer

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is about Nevada Solar One thermal solar power system.It uses 760 parabolic mirrors reflecting sunlight on a cylindrical tube carrying a heat transfer fluid.Each mirror contributes 84kW giving a total 64MW.
    Assumptions:The mirror has a width(orthogonal to incoming sunlight) of 1.4m and reflects 95% of the solar light(1125W/m2) on to the central tube.Let the central tube have a diameter of 6cm and be of uniform temperature and coated with a material that has the direction independent spectral emissivity as follows:

ελ=0.85 for λ<2.6μm
    ελ=0.35 for 2.6<λ<4.2μm
    ελ=0.15 for λ>4.2μm

Emitted energy from the tube that is reflected by the concentrator(mirror) may be neglected as may emission from the concentrator.The surrounding enviroment is a relative low temperature.

1.if the heat exchange is only by radiation compute the temperature of the tube.
    2.if the tube is cooled to 650K by passing a coolant through its interior how much energy must be removed by the cooland per meter of tube length?
    3.how much lenght is needed to reach a power of 84kW.Is this length comparable with the length of Nevada Solar One?If not which assumptions should be changed?

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are the solutions i gave:
    1.if the heat exchange is only by radiation i can make a balance in what commes in and out of the tube so:
    qin=1125*95/100=1068.75 so in total 760*1068.75*760=812250W/m2

So if i try some values for T i can see that for T=2150K qout=812250W/m2.
    I think that this is correct but there must be a more appropriate way to solve this question.
    Also i tried to take into account the spectral emission in wavelenghts below 2.6 as it is the most important in these temperatures and do a simple balance where qin=qout[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]812250=0.85σΤ4 which results a T=2026.15K.So its reasonable.This offcourse is for the whole pipe and all the mirrors.

2.for the second question i also made a balance taking into account the q thats goes out with the cooland so 0=qin-qcoolant-qradiation,T=650[tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex]qcoolant=1068.75-2072,5=-1003.75W/m2

So per meter of tube length 1003.75*2*π*r=189.2W/m

3.To reach a power of 84kW [tex]\frac{84000}{189.2}[/tex]=444 while if i use the width 1.4m 84000/1068.75=79m2 so 79/1.4=56m

In the second question i used the energy that comes in from one mirror since in the 3rd asks to reach a power of 84kW.i think that i could use the power from all mirrors qin=812250W/m2 if i had to compare it with the 64MW.Ive been also told that the qout by radiation is not important in this question but this doesnt seem the case to me.If i dont use energy emitted by radiation its basically like i dont define the temperature of the tube at 650K.Its also strange that i dont use the mirror width except when i calculate the tube length to compare it with what i find.I am looking for some inspiration and i would really appreciate any help and suggestions....

Thanks in advance :)
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted