Why Is \sqrt[4]{(-4)^2} Not Equal to (-4)^\frac{1}{2}?

• Thread starter bacon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct method of solving the equation \sqrt[4]{(-4)^2}=\sqrt[4]{16}=2 and the incorrect method of \sqrt[4]{(-4)^2}=(-4)}^\frac{2}{4}=(-4)}^\frac{1}{2}=\sqrt{-4}. The first method follows the inner to outer priority of operations, while the second method leads to contradictory results. The speaker apologizes for not being able to provide a proof, but offers cake as a consolation.
bacon
From the book..." [tex]\sqrt[4]{(-4)^2}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt[4]{16}[/tex]=2. It is incorrect to write [tex]\sqrt[4]{(-4)^2}[/tex]=[tex](-4)}^\frac{2}{4}[/tex]=[tex](-4)}^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{-4}[/tex] ..."

I understand the math involved but want to be sure of the exact reason why the first part is correct and the second is not. Is it because of the inner to outer priority of operations when one operation is nested inside another?

Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work inner ... outer.

Clearly, the first method is correct (it actually says [itex]((-4)^2)^{1/4}[/itex], so what it does is work out the brackets in the correct order.
Now if the second method were correct, you would get contradictory results. For example, consider this "proof":
[tex]1 = \sqrt{1} = \sqrt{(-1)^2} = ((-1)^2)^{1/2} \stackrel{?!}{=} (-1)^{2/2} = (-1)^1 = -1[/tex]
so 1 = -1, and anything you might want to prove (whether true or false) follows :smile:

1 = -1

My life has been a lie :(

Feldoh said:

Actually, it is not. I could show you a proof of this, but I need to change the oil in the car. Sorry.

Feldoh said:

It's not that bad... have some cake.

What is radical simplification?

Radical simplification is the process of reducing complex systems, processes, or ideas to their most basic and essential elements. It involves removing unnecessary components and streamlining processes to make them more efficient and user-friendly.

Why is radical simplification important?

Radical simplification is important because it can lead to increased productivity, better user experience, and cost savings. By removing unnecessary complexities, it can also make systems or processes easier to understand and use.

What are some examples of radical simplification in science?

One example of radical simplification in science is the development of the periodic table of elements, which simplified the classification of elements and their properties. Another example is the use of genetic engineering to simplify the process of creating insulin for diabetes treatment.

What are the potential drawbacks of radical simplification?

One potential drawback of radical simplification is the risk of oversimplifying complex systems or ideas, which can lead to incorrect conclusions or ineffective solutions. It can also lead to the loss of important details or nuances that may be crucial for understanding the system or idea.

How can scientists implement radical simplification in their work?

Scientists can implement radical simplification by critically evaluating their processes and systems, identifying unnecessary complexities, and finding ways to streamline or remove them. They can also collaborate with experts from other fields to gain new perspectives and ideas for simplifying their work.