1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radical Simplification

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I got this expression while solving a problem.

sin(theta)=[√3+1-√(4-2√3)]/4
    Using calculator I got RHS=0.5
    How do we simplify it without using a calc?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Try to write 4-2√3 as the square of (√3-a) . What is a?

ehild

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

ehild, did you intend that to be [itex]\sqrt{(3- a)}[/itex] or [itex](\sqrt{3})- a[/itex]?

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

Naturally, √3 +a = 1.7320508.. +a. You have to perform a higher operation first, and square root is of higher order than addition or subtraction. So is multiplication to addition. 2*3+4 =10 and it is not the same as 2*(3+4)=14. Or 6/2+3=6, and not 6/(2+3)=1.2. √9+16=19 and it is not √(9+16)=5. The square of (√3-1) is (√3-1)^2 = 4-2√3 and not √3-1^2=√3-1. Or it is on the other way at other parts of the world?

ehild

6. Sep 2, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes?

Abdul Quadeer, [tex]a+b=\sqrt{(a+b)^2}[/tex], see if you can work some magic with this idea.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6
    Thanks, I got the answer.
    Mentallic- there is a slight error in your idea.
    LHS =|a+b|

8. Sep 2, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Haha yep :smile: I didn't want to complicate things by saying in the case that a+b>0 or anything like that. You know, the KISS principle. But I'm glad you were able to spot my simplification (in other words, the error, but I'm not willing to admit it :wink:)

9. Sep 2, 2010 #8
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook