How can I simplify this expression without using a calculator?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, The conversation discusses how to simplify the expression sin(theta)=[√3+1-√(4-2√3)]/4 without using a calculator. The idea of writing 4-2√3 as the square of (√3-a) is proposed, and the importance of performing higher operations first is emphasized. Eventually, the idea of using the expression a+b=\sqrt{(a+b)^2} is suggested, with some minor error.
zorro

Homework Statement

I got this expression while solving a problem.

sin(theta)=[√3+1-√(4-2√3)]/4
Using calculator I got RHS=0.5
How do we simplify it without using a calc?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to write 4-2√3 as the square of (√3-a) . What is a?

ehild

ehild, did you intend that to be [itex]\sqrt{(3- a)}[/itex] or [itex](\sqrt{3})- a[/itex]?

Naturally, √3 +a = 1.7320508.. +a. You have to perform a higher operation first, and square root is of higher order than addition or subtraction. So is multiplication to addition. 2*3+4 =10 and it is not the same as 2*(3+4)=14. Or 6/2+3=6, and not 6/(2+3)=1.2. √9+16=19 and it is not √(9+16)=5. The square of (√3-1) is (√3-1)^2 = 4-2√3 and not √3-1^2=√3-1. Or it is on the other way at other parts of the world?

ehild

ehild said:
Naturally, √3 +a = 1.7320508.. +a. You have to perform a higher operation first, and square root is of higher order than addition or subtraction. So is multiplication to addition. 2*3+4 =10 and it is not the same as 2*(3+4)=14. Or 6/2+3=6, and not 6/(2+3)=1.2. √9+16=19 and it is not √(9+16)=5. The square of (√3-1) is (√3-1)^2 = 4-2√3 and not √3-1^2=√3-1. Or it is on the other way at other parts of the world?

ehild

Yes?

Abdul Quadeer, [tex]a+b=\sqrt{(a+b)^2}[/tex], see if you can work some magic with this idea.

Thanks, I got the answer.
Mentallic- there is a slight error in your idea.
LHS =|a+b|

Haha yep :smile: I didn't want to complicate things by saying in the case that a+b>0 or anything like that. You know, the KISS principle. But I'm glad you were able to spot my simplification (in other words, the error, but I'm not willing to admit it :wink:)

:smile:

What is radical simplification?

Radical simplification is the process of reducing complex systems or ideas into their most basic and essential components. It involves removing unnecessary complexities and focusing on the core elements.

Why is radical simplification important?

Radical simplification allows for easier understanding and communication of complex concepts. It can also lead to increased efficiency and effectiveness in problem-solving and decision-making.

How can radical simplification be applied in scientific research?

In scientific research, radical simplification can be used to break down complex theories or experiments into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze the results. It can also help to identify key variables and relationships between them.

What are the potential challenges of radical simplification?

One potential challenge is oversimplification, where important details or nuances are overlooked. Another challenge is resistance to change, as some may be hesitant to adopt a more simplified approach.

Can radical simplification be applied to all areas of science?

Yes, radical simplification can be applied to any area of science, from biology to physics to psychology. It is a universal concept that can help in understanding and advancing knowledge in any field.