1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radicals with division.

1. Dec 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -60/120 ^1/3

2. Relevant equations
    I've gone through my book, and I'm supposed to find a number that when multiplied by a perfect cube I can bring it out and then cancel with the division. Try as I might with my calculator, I can't find one. Am I doing this wrong?

3. The attempt at a solution I broke the numerator and denominator down and I got 2 X 2 X 3 X 5 for 60, and 2 X 2 X 2 X 3 X 5 for 120. The only number I can bring out of the denominator is 2 X 2 X 2 which allows me to bring out 8. There is no number that I can bring out of the numerator. So basically, I got to 2 X 2 X 3 X 5 ^1/3 divided by 2(3 X 5)^1/3

Ahhh...I think that by talking this through, I figured it out. Can you let me know if I've done it right?

Can I cancel the 3 and 5 since they're both cube rooted? then that leaves me with 4^1/3 divided by 2?

Edit: Ehhh...Tried doing this on another problem, and ran into issues, so I'm guessing that I did this wrong.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2
    Forgive me, I haven't posted here in forever, and I've forgotten the code for entering actual symbols and such.

4. Dec 10, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No need to worry about Latex code, that looks fine- but use parenthese. I think what you meant was (-60/120)^(1/3). Yes, factoring is a perfectly good way to find a root, although I think I would have been inclined to see that 120= 60*2 and stop there:
    -60/120= -60/(2*60)= -1/2. Your problem reduces to (-1/2)^(1/3). That can be rewritten as -(1/2)^(1/3) but I can't see that you can do a lot after that. If you are allowed to use negative exponents you could write that as -1/2^(1/3)= -2^(-1/3).

5. Dec 10, 2008 #4
    Hmmm...No answer in the back of the book for the the (-60/120)^1/3. But the answer for (-60/180)^1/3 ends up being -[(9^1/3)/3]. Any ideas on how they got that?

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    Ok, I see. They got that answer by rationalizing the denominator. Thanks for you help, greatly appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?