Where Can I Find Information on Radio Frequency Antennas for Amateur Radio?

In summary, this person is looking for a book on antenna theory and recommends the "ARRL Antenna Handbook".
shiva999
could anyone help me by giving information about radio frequency antennas if possible provide me powerpoint pesentation

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you know Balanis Antenna theory is a 1000+ pages book on this subject? If you have a specific question, you can ask. But this is not exactly a good place to ask about antenna.

Here are some good links to how an antenna radiates. If you need specific information, there are a lot of people here that know a lot about antennas and RF radiation.

http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/dipoles-1.pdf
http://w4trc.org/dipoles/dipoles-2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Fact is no one else join in speak louder than anything else. I am currently studying antenna theory for the last two months after a few years studying EM and all the math.

I am looking for a place I can ask question also. This is a very specialized subject and you need to be very good in EM and ED also. The short electric dipole, loop magnetic dipole and even the wave guide horn antenna are just the beginning of this complicated subject. They are just barely the building block of antenna. That is the reason I don't want to point to any simple explanation that you might be mislead to think it is just that easy...it is not. It all start from EM, even if you really master the undergrad EM, you are only barely getting a good start. You really need a class of Microwave design to get into transmission lines, phasors and different parameters ( Z, Y, ABCD and S) etc. I don't know of any other way to put it. I studied 3 separate EM and ED books and Microwave electronics just to prepare for this topic alone.

I don't mean to be dis-respect to this forum. I have questions before and I think it is better to look for a forum that specialize in RF and EM to give help in this topic.

Sorry. I apologize to this forum.

Last edited:
My favorite antenna reference is the one written for Amateur Radio enthiusiasts - "Hams".
It is called "ARRL Antenna Handbook".

It starts out with the basic electrical theory and has detailed instructions how to build antennas using practical hardware store materials.

you can get really overwhelmed trying to do vector calculus equations if you just go buy a textbook.

this ARRL book will give you a working knowledge, and i think that's what you are after.

1. What is a radio frequency antenna?

A radio frequency antenna is a device that is used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves in the radio frequency range. It converts electrical signals into radio waves and vice versa, allowing for the transmission and reception of radio signals.

2. How does a radio frequency antenna work?

A radio frequency antenna works by converting electrical signals into radio waves and sending them out into the air. When these radio waves encounter another antenna tuned to the same frequency, they are picked up and converted back into electrical signals, allowing for the transmission and reception of information.

3. What are the different types of radio frequency antennas?

There are several types of radio frequency antennas, including dipole antennas, loop antennas, Yagi antennas, and parabolic antennas. Each type has its own specific design and purpose, but all function to transmit and receive radio waves.

4. What factors affect the performance of a radio frequency antenna?

The performance of a radio frequency antenna can be affected by several factors, including its size, shape, orientation, and the materials used in its construction. The surrounding environment, such as the presence of nearby buildings or interference from other electronic devices, can also impact its performance.

5. How do I choose the right radio frequency antenna for my needs?

The type of radio frequency antenna you need will depend on your specific application and requirements. Factors to consider when choosing an antenna include frequency range, gain, size, and directional or omnidirectional capabilities. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable expert to determine the best antenna for your specific needs.