1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio Frequency Power

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A coaxial transmission line consists of an inner cylindrical conductor of radius 1mm and a cylindrical outer conductor chosen to make the characteristic impedance 75 ohms. The space between the conductors is filled with a gas that can stand a maximum field of 10^5 Vm^-1 without dielectric breakdown. Estimate the maximum mean radio-frequency power that can be transmitted along this line into a matching load.

2. Relevant equations
    The impedance of a co axial cable is Z=Zo*ln(b/a)/n*2*pi where b is outer radius, a inner radius and n is sqrt(permittivity).

3. The attempt at a solution
    So for the empty coaxial cable I had Z=Zo*ln(b/a)/2*pi

I rearranged this to work out the value of the outer radius which I got as 3.49mm.

I used the distance between inner and outer radius and the max electric field to work out potential difference. I then tried to the use the standard P=Vi formula to work out power but my answer is about 8 times too big. I assumed all the power is transmitted due to impedance matching.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

The breakdown voltage is based on the peak voltage, while the power is based on the RMS voltage. Still, that should only give you a difference of √2, not 8. Can you post your work so we can check the numbers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted