Solving for C in terms of L: Find C in RLC Circuit for 950kHz Station

• Thread starter Poetria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, the conversation discusses building a simple passive AM radio using a series RLC circuit and finding the relationship between the values of R, L, and C in order to tune to a specific station with good reception. It also mentions a second question regarding finding R in terms of L and the frequency. The formula for gain squared is discussed, but it is noted that it may not be applicable in this case due to the bandwidth of the AM radio station. The conversation ends with a question about the bandwidth of the audio and RF channel for an AM RF signal.
Poetria

Homework Statement

You are building a simple passive AM radio using a series RLC circuit with an voltage source of V sin(omega*t) and the voltage drop V_R across the resistor as the system response.

You would like to know the relations between the values of R,L,and C in order to tune to a station at 950kHz and with good enough reception. The bandwidth of the AM radio station is about 10 kHz. By good enough reception, you mean that the gain of V_R should drop to a small fraction, say 1/10 of the maximum gain at the two boundary frequencies v_1 kHz and v_2 kHz.

Find C (with units microF) in terms of L (with units H) and v=950,000 Hz. (Remember omega has units rad/s, which are equivalent to units of 1/(2*pi)Hz.)

(Substitute v=950,000 Hz, enter in terms of L)

There is also the second question but perhaps I will be able to solve it on my own if I get this one right.2. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use the formula for gain squared (with all information provided) but it gets very complicated. I am on the wrong track, I think.

(95^2=(r^2*omega^2)/((1/c-l*omega^2)^2+r^2*omega^2))

95^2=(r^2*(10+omega)^2)/((1/c-l*(10+omega)^2)^2+r^2*(10+omega)^2)

where v_1=2*pi*omega
v_2=2*pi*(omega+10)

Attachments

• radiostation.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 175
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the resonant frequency of the LC circuit, when XL = –XC.
Consider the ratio XL/R and the Q of the circuit.

Likes Poetria
Baluncore said:

Something like this: C= 1/((950000*2*pi)^2*l) ?

Last edited:
Baluncore said:

Q=95? I am not sure.

The second question: Find R (with units of kiloOhms) in terms of L (with units H) and v=950 kHz.

1000*L ?

Poetria said:
Something like this: C= 1/((950000*2*pi)^2*l) ?
Yes.

Poetria said:
Q=95? I am not sure.
Maybe, but first;
Poetria said:
The bandwidth of the AM radio station is about 10 kHz.
Is that the bandwidth of the audio AF to be transmitted, or of the RF channel allocated in the radio spectrum?
An AM RF signal has symmetrical upper and lower sidebands, so it needs twice the audio bandwidth in the RF channel.

Likes Poetria
Baluncore said:
Yes.Maybe, but first;

Is that the bandwidth of the audio AF to be transmitted, or of the RF channel allocated in the radio spectrum?
An AM RF signal has symmetrical upper and lower sidebands, so it needs twice the audio bandwidth in the RF channel.

OK. I have to think about it. I have discovered that this is a different Q (full width at half maximum -1/sqrt(2) and not 1/10) so this formula doesn't fit here. Well, this is a course on differential equations. I don't know much about circuits. I will get to the bottom of it.

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components create a resonant circuit that can be used in a variety of applications, including radio frequency circuits.

Why do we need to solve for C in terms of L in an RLC circuit for a 950kHz station?

In an RLC circuit, the value of the inductor (L) and capacitor (C) are crucial in determining the resonant frequency of the circuit. In order to tune the circuit to a specific frequency, such as 950kHz for a radio station, we need to find the value of C that will create resonance at that frequency when combined with the value of L.

How do we solve for C in terms of L in an RLC circuit?

To solve for C in terms of L, we can use the formula: C = 1/(4π²f²L), where f is the desired frequency in hertz. In this case, we would plug in 950,000 Hz for f and the known value of L to solve for C.

What is the significance of solving for C in terms of L in an RLC circuit?

By solving for C in terms of L, we can determine the exact value of the capacitor needed to achieve resonance at a specific frequency. This is important in applications such as radio frequency circuits, where precise tuning is necessary for optimal performance.

Are there any other factors to consider when solving for C in terms of L in an RLC circuit?

Yes, in addition to the value of L and the desired frequency, we also need to consider the resistance (R) in the circuit. The presence of resistance can affect the resonant frequency and may need to be taken into account when solving for C in terms of L.