Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio Tag Debut Set for This Week: Wired.com

1. Sep 16, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,60408,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2003 #2

megashawn

Science Advisor

How did we let this happen? Does this not seem, uhh, criminal? I know that people really want to know how much toilet paper I go through in a week.

Seriously though, what is the need in tracking a product after point of sale? (POS) I've even heard other futuristic predictions about this technology that would allow your milk to reorder automatically when it reaches a certain point. Other benefits are that every store bought item would have one of these RFID's and would provide proof of ownership in the event of theft.

But how much more difficult would it be to add a microphone, or camera even and use these RFID's to replace phone taps and such?

Is there any information on the frequency these things operate on? Seems a method could be devised to block this signal.

4. Sep 23, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like a business! I will wager 5 twinkies that blocking this signal will be made illegal...if it's not already by FCC law.

5. Sep 24, 2003 #4

megashawn

Science Advisor

Well, I had heard of a type of building material that would prevent cell phones from recieving a signal. The intended target was for resturaunts and such that wish to ban cell phones use.

Seems the same type of material could be used as well. I'd take your bet, but upon accepting reality, I'd say you should up it to an entire box of twinkies.

If we'd not be allowed to block the signal, could we destroy the tag somehow? Perhaps a strong magnetic field or uhh, i dunno microwaving it? Mmm Microwaved deodorant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?