Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio transmitter for Zune

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    I purchased a radio transmitter for my Zune, and it takes quite a bit of work to get it to function properly.

I have not been taught much about how radio waves function or why my transmitter is behaving the way it is, so help me find a solution to my problem!

When my radio transmitter (something that's plugged into the audio output jack on my Zune, so I can tune in and listen on my radio) is plugged in, in order for it to work correctly I must hold the transmitter in my hand without touching my Zune. If I don't touch the transmitter, all I hear is static. If I touch the transmitter AND touch the Zune, all I hear is static.

Why does this happen, and is there any way to fix it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, it sounds like it is using you as a ground or an antenna. Is the transmitter connected to the car's power supply? Is the transmitter located physically near the car's antenna? (line of sight helps too)
  4. Mar 7, 2008 #3
    The transmitter is not connected to the power supply. Is there any way to ground the transmitter without me holding it? Would doing something like wrapping a copper wire and attaching it to my car's frame work?
  5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    I've tried different arrangements in my car to help it get better line of sight, but it doesn't really seem to make much difference. I HAVE to be touching it somewhere or else I hear mostly static. I was going to try and ground it to my car's frame with some copper wire... but I didn't think that'd work because I wouldn't be able to get very good contact with the transmitter.

Any ideas?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?