Radio Tube Mystery: Solving the Buzzing Buzzer

In summary, the conversation revolved around a 5 cm high radio tube with 9 pins arranged in a C shape at the base, a getter at the top, and parallel metal plates inside. The individual used a GMC-300E plus Geiger counter to check if it had a thoriated cathode, but instead decided to connect two of its pins to a 1 kV power supply. This caused purple eruptions from the plates and interference with the Geiger counter, possibly from UV radiation. The individual then discussed the dangers of using a car battery for similar experiments and the importance of using current limiting measures and eye protection. The conversation ended with suggestions for using an inducer or wire meshes to create sparks.
eigenmax
I recently got a 5 cm high radio tube from a old radio in my house. It has 9 pins ,arranged in a C shape at the base, a getter at the top and parallel metal plates inside.

I decided to use my GMC-300E plus ,Geiger counter to check if it had a thoriated cathode. It did not. Just for fun, I two of it's pins to a 1 Kv power supply. I expected a nice show of plasma inside the tube. When I turned on the supply ,purple eruptions came from the plates.

The Geiger counter was still on and sitting beside it. The Geiger counter's display whited out and the light at the side which flashes when the counter registers a click, just glowed constantly, the buzzer did the same.

I instantly moved the counter away and turned off the supply. What made the counter do this? Was the tube interfering with the Geiger counters circuits, which seems unlikely. Or was the tube emitting an amazing amount of X-Rays ? The supply was only 1 Kv so this seems impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1 kV is a lot for a radio tube.
Any descriptive text on the thing ? Is it reddish or is it goldish ?

eigenmax said:
I recently got a 5 cm high radio tube from a old radio in my house. It has 9 pins ,arranged in a C shape at the base, a getter at the top and parallel metal plates inside.

I decided to use my GMC-300E plus ,Geiger counter to check if it had a thoriated cathode. It did not. Just for fun, I two of it's pins to a 1 Kv power supply. I expected a nice show of plasma inside the tube. When I turned on the supply ,purple eruptions came from the plates.

The Geiger counter was still on and sitting beside it. The Geiger counter's display whited out and the light at the side which flashes when the counter registers a click, just glowed constantly, the buzzer did the same.

I instantly moved the counter away and turned off the supply. What made the counter do this? Was the tube interfering with the Geiger counters circuits, which seems unlikely. Or was the tube emitting an amazing amount of X-Rays ? The supply was only 1 Kv so this seems impossible.
Do you routinely put 1kV across components and circuits that you don't have a schematic for? Where did you get the 1kV? DC or AC? Source impedance?

Likes UsableThought, mfb, Averagesupernova and 1 other person
A GM tube detects charges freed by the ionisation of the inert gas in the tube. Maybe UV radiation from the 1kV discharge penetrated the GM tube window sufficiently to generate ions within the tube.

eigenmax said:

a photo of said tube would be extremely useful

Geiger counters make small electrical pulses that get amplified and counted inside the instrument.

I suspect your detector acted as an antenna for old fashioned 'static' from the arcing.

that's specuation, you could check by making some sparks from a lower voltage source like a six volt lantern battery and see if it counts them.

If you do it with a car battery use long jumper cables because you don't want sparks near a car battery The hydrogen inside them can explode and spray acid everyehere.
That happened to me, my glasses saved my eyes but i lost a dress shirt and trousers.
I doggone near got blinded and that's no exaggeration. Stay safe.

Likes dlgoff, BvU and UsableThought
Hello,
I am sorry to be so slow getting back, I had some minor account glitches (forgot password :headbang: ) , but I did more research and with your contributions I am now sure of the static/UV interpretation.
Thank you all very much

Likes jim hardy
Thanks for the feedback !

jim hardy said:
you could check by making some sparks from a lower voltage source like a six volt lantern battery and see if it counts them.

If you do it with a car battery use long jumper cables because you don't want sparks near a car battery The hydrogen inside them can explode and spray acid everyehere.
Don't use a car battery without a current limiting resistor. A few hundred amps through e.g. a wrist watch strap generates a lot of heat.

Carrock said:
Don't use a car battery without a current limiting resistor. A few hundred amps through e.g. a wrist watch strap generates a lot of heat.
Yes. Or better yet a fuse, and not slow blow one. Also, eye protection recommended if you go applying 1 KV to a glass component. Remember P = E**2/R.

Likes Mike Darnell
If you're looking to make sparks, then an inducer would be the thing to use

Rx7man said:
If you're looking to make sparks, then an inducer would be the thing to use
Wire meshs moved over each other work well too.

1. What is the "Radio Tube Mystery: Solving the Buzzing Buzzer"?

The "Radio Tube Mystery: Solving the Buzzing Buzzer" is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when a radio tube begins to emit a buzzing sound, even when there is no input signal. This issue has puzzled scientists and engineers for decades.

2. What causes the buzzing sound in radio tubes?

The buzzing sound in radio tubes is caused by a phenomenon called "microphony." This occurs when the internal components of the radio tube, such as the filament or grid, vibrate due to external factors such as temperature changes or mechanical stress. This vibration creates a buzzing sound that can interfere with the normal functioning of the radio tube.

3. How can the buzzing sound be eliminated?

There are several methods that can be used to eliminate the buzzing sound in radio tubes. One method is to properly insulate the tube and its components to prevent external vibrations from affecting it. Another method is to use a shock mount or vibration dampener to absorb any vibrations. Additionally, careful selection and placement of components within the radio can also help reduce the buzzing sound.

4. Can the buzzing sound affect the performance of the radio?

Yes, the buzzing sound can affect the performance of the radio. It can interfere with the reception and transmission of signals, causing distortion or loss of signal. In some cases, the buzzing sound can also damage the internal components of the radio tube, leading to a malfunction or failure of the radio.

5. Are there any long-term solutions to the "Radio Tube Mystery: Solving the Buzzing Buzzer"?

There are ongoing research and development efforts to find a long-term solution to the "Radio Tube Mystery: Solving the Buzzing Buzzer." Some solutions include the use of more advanced materials and designs for radio tube components that are less susceptible to vibration. Other solutions involve the development of better insulation and dampening techniques. Ultimately, finding a permanent solution may require a combination of these approaches and further scientific advancements.