1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio Wave Interference

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two radio towers are positioned 10m apart. They emit waves of 750mHz. How many maxima will you detect if you walk around the towers in a circle of radius=10m?

I know that the path length difference, [tex]\Delta r [/tex], must = an integer number of wavelengths:

[tex] \Delta r = n\lambda [/tex]

Where I'm confused is how to find an expression using this information to solve for the number of maximas in a circle. Can anyone give me any hints? I'd show more work if I could think of anything else. The only other work I have is solving for the wavelength:

[tex] c = \lambda f [/tex]

[tex] \lambda = \frac{c}{f} = \frac{3X10^8m/s}{750000000Hz} = .4m [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2
    It looks like 2, since
    [tex]d \sin(\theta) = \pm \lambda[/tex]
    [tex]\sin(\theta) = \pm 1[/tex]
    with in [tex]0, 2\pi[/tex] interval
    [tex]\theta = \pi, 3 \pi /2[/tex]

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The answe is 20, which is what is confusing me. I got 2 also, but at [tex] \pi/2 , 3\pi/2 [/tex] I don't know how I'm supposed to find the 20 spots. I know there has to be a way to derive a formula for it. Or something.

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4
    What the heck I've done, the wavelength isn't 10m, it's 0.4m! Plus, 0 is also an integer, so there would be 4 solution (yours and mine should add, if d=wavelength!) Oh my! I was totally sleepy!

So then, let me try again. The difference in distance of waveves should be [tex]10 \sin(\theta)[/tex], and if this difference is equal to 0 or an integer multiple of wavelength, then there should be a maxima
    [tex]25 \lambda \sin(\theta) = n \lambda[/tex]
    [tex]\sin(\theta) = [-1,1] = n/25[/tex] where n is an integer.

Hmm.. I still don't have 20. I don't know where I got wrong, though.
    I assumed center of the circle is in the middle of towers, BTW.

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry I screwed up. The distance between the towers is 2 m not 10.

7. Feb 20, 2006 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, I found that the angles, 0, [tex] \pi/2, \pi, 3\pi/2, [/tex] all have maximas so that gives me four. Now i need to find a way to find the maximas in one of the quadrants and I can multpily that by four and then add four to that and I should get 20. Im lost on how to find the maximas in between quadrant angles. How do you get the the distance between waves is [tex] 10\sin(\theta) [/tex]

8. Feb 20, 2006 #7
  9. Feb 20, 2006 #8

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

im sorry, i don't know which sectionyou want me to look at. I read the page and I have seen most of that stuff, but I don't see what section answers my question about why the distance bewteen the waves equals 10sin(x),

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9
    "Constructive Inteference" section

11. Feb 20, 2006 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

i got the answer thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?