Radio wave propagation

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi I wonder if any one could advise how a radio wave would propagate around a metal object? Basically, I have a GPS antenna and due to mechanical issues the antenna is obscured by a mounting screw that sits in front of the antenna by about 2~3cm. I understand that the radio wave would become reflected/refracted/diffracted/scattered to some greater or lesser degree and is wavelength dependant. I wondered if any one could advise how much an effect this screw would have and advise any approximations or assumptions that could be made?
Many thanks

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Welcome to PF;
Hi I wonder if any one could advise how a radio wave would propagate around a metal object?
Much the same way a water-wave does.

Basically, I have a GPS antenna and due to mechanical issues the antenna is obscured by a mounting screw that sits in front of the antenna by about 2~3cm. I understand that the radio wave would become reflected/refracted/diffracted/scattered to some greater or lesser degree and is wavelength dependant. I wondered if any one could advise how much an effect this screw would have and advise any approximations or assumptions that could be made?
Many thanks
Diffraction effects are important if the screw is similar in size to the wavelength of the signal.
If the screw is large compared with the wavelength, then you get more of a shadow effect.

Unless you are very unlucky, or you've left something out, the screw should have almost no effect.

Thank you for your reply Simon, very helpful!