1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radio waves and charge

1. Jul 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

AM radio allows a speration of 10kHz between frequencies of different radio stations. Why do AM radio receivers need a large Q? Estimate the Q required for good AM reception.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not sure where to begin! :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    It's not in my textbook but I found out that AM radio receivers need a large q-factor to have a sharper resonance. However I can't find Q required for good AM reception. Any suggestions?

5. Jul 30, 2007 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

A electronic oscillator produces em waves at a certain frequency. But the waves are not confined to a particular frequency, instead they spread over a range of frequencies. The most intense radiation (largest power output) is at its resonance frequency. The Q factor quantifies this spread in frequencies. If the stations are too close together the signals from the various transmitters will interfere with the reception.

6. Jul 30, 2007 #5
    Thanks for that more thorough explanation. Still don't know what a good Q is for radio reception though -_-"

7. Jul 30, 2007 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The signals from one station should not overlap with the signal from another station. So you use the given frequency difference between stations to check what the minimum Q factor should be at the mid AM frequency transmissions.

8. Jul 31, 2007 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?