1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive Decay question

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    A 2.71g sample of KCL is found to be radioactive, and it is decaying at a constant rate of 4490 Bq. The decays are traced to the ekement potassium and in particular to the isotope K(proton number 40), which constitutes 1.17% of normal potassium. find the half-life of this nuclide( Take molar mass of KCL = 74.555g)

Ans provided is 1.25 x 10^9 years. I cant seem to even come close to that value.

I found the number of K-40 in the sample which is 2.560 x 10^20. From there, using A= constant x number of particles of K-40 and rate of decay = -dN/dt, I cant seem to get that ans
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2
    I think you're on the right track here. Your number for the number of 40K atoms is very close to what I got.

My next step was to find the decay constant, [lambda]. If the rate of decay is constant, then

[lambda] = decays per second / number of atoms

4490 Bq = 4490 decays per second. Once you have [lambda], you can use

T1/2 = ln(2) / [lambda] to get your half-life in seconds. I get 3.95 x 10 16 seconds, which is equivalent to 1.25 Billion years.

I should add a word of caution that this is *not* a completely rigorous method. You can't use it for something with a half-life of, say, 15 seconds. However, since the problem states the decay rate is constant and you can see that the decays/second are << than the number of atoms in the sample (16 orders of magnitude in this case), it should get an accurate answer.
  4. May 12, 2005 #3

i know where i went wrong, forgot to convert the seconds to years!!!!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?