Radioactive Decay Rates and the Relationship between Decay Constants

In summary, the equations state that the rate of decay of B is proportional to the decay constants D1, D2, and D3. If D1 is greater, then there will be a peak in the rate of decay, but the values of D1, D2, and D3 will change with successive changes in the decay constants.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider nucleus A decaying to B with decay constant D1, B decays to either X or Y (decay constants D2 and D3). at t=0, number of nuclei of A,B,X and Y are J,J,0 and 0. and N1,N2,N3 and N4 are the number of nuclei of A,B,X and Y at any instant.
My question is, what is the relation between D1,D2 and D3 for B to first increase, peak and then decrease?

Homework Equations

rate of decay = DN

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the rate of accumulation of B is N1D1- N2D2- N3D3, since this also involves N, I don't know how to figure out a relation between D1,D2 and D3 alone for the specified conditions. I also figured out that no matter what D1,D2,D3 are- after a long time B will have zero nuclei (so will A).
If D1 is greater it will cause a peak but I'm not sure how the values will change with subsequent change in N

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation should read ## \frac{dN_2}{dt}= N_1D_1-N_2D_2-N_2D_3 ##, with an ## N_2 ## in the 3rd term. ## \\ ## When ## N_1D_1=N_2(D_2+D_3) ## that will be when ## N_2 ## peaks, with ## \frac{dN_2}{dt}=0 ##. ## \\ ## You can actually solve the equation ## \frac{dN_1}{dt}=-D_1 N_1 ## for ## N_1(t) ## , and plug into the ## \frac{dN_2}{dt} =N_1 D_1-N_2(D_2+D_3) ## equation, and solve this equation for ## N_2 =N_2(t) ##. (It's been a while since I did this particular calculation, but I believe it uses a technique of integrating factors). ## \\ ## As I remember it, when you have ## \frac{dX}{dt}+AX =f(t) ##, (where ## X=X(t) ##), you can multiply both sides by ## e^{At} ##, (called an integrating factor), and the left side is then ## \frac{d(Xe^{At})}{dt} ##. The right side has ## f(t)e^{At} ##, and you can then integrate to get ## Xe^{At} =\int f(t) e^{At} \, dt ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Your equation should read ## \frac{dN_2}{dt}= N_1D_1-N_2D_2-N_2D_3 ##, with an ## N_2 ## in the 3rd term. ## \\ ## When ## N_1D_1=N_2(D_2+D_3) ## that will be when ## N_2 ## peaks, with ## \frac{dN_2}{dt}=0 ##. ## \\ ## You can actually solve the equation ## \frac{dN_1}{dt}=-D_1 N_1 ## for ## N_1(t) ## , and plug into the ## \frac{dN_2}{dt} =N_1 D_1-N_2(D_2+D_3) ## equation, and solve this equation for ## N_2 =N_2(t) ##. (It's been a while since I did this particular calculation, but I believe it uses a technique of integrating factors). ## \\ ## As I remember it, when you have ## \frac{dX}{dt}+AX =f(t) ##, (where ## X=X(t) ##), you can multiply both sides by ## e^{At} ##, (called an integrating factor), and the left side is then ## \frac{d(Xe^{At})}{dt} ##. The right side has ## f(t)e^{At} ##, and you can then integrate to get ## Xe^{At} =\int f(t) e^{At} \, dt ##.
Interesting, I understand this for the most part but I doubt my textbook wants me to derive the answer using the calculus you mentioned since only basic parallel disintegration is in our course- the answer given is simply D1>D2+D3 for the given conditions to occur, is there a simple intuitive way to know that?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Interesting, I understand this for the most part but I doubt my textbook wants me to derive the answer using the calculus you mentioned since only basic parallel disintegration is in our course- the answer given is simply D1>D2+D3 for the given conditions to occur, is there a simple intuitive way to know that?
I believe ## N_2 ## will always experience a peak. If ## D_2 ## and ## D_3 ## are very large, that will occur when ## N_2 ## is very close to zero and ## N_1 ## very close to its initial value. In this case, I believe your book has an incorrect answer. The equation that I posted is the correct equation: ## N_1 D_1=N_2(D_2+D_3) ##

Charles Link said:
I believe ## N_2 ## will always experience a peak. If ## D_2 ## and ## D_3 ## are very large, that will occur when ## N_2 ## is very close to zero and ## N_1 ## very close to its initial value. In this case, I believe your book has an incorrect answer. The equation that I posted is the correct equation: ## N_1 D_1=N_2(D_2+D_3) ##
I understand, thank you very much :D

Likes Charles Link

What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process in which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy in the form of radiation, resulting in the transformation of the nucleus into a more stable form.

What causes radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is caused by the instability of an atom's nucleus, which occurs when there is an imbalance in the number of protons and neutrons. To achieve a more stable state, the atom releases energy in the form of radiation.

What are the types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha, beta, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons), beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (an electron or positron), and gamma decay involves the release of high-energy photons.

How is radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using the half-life, which is the time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay. This can be determined through various methods such as counting the number of radioactive atoms or measuring the amount of radiation emitted.

What are the applications of radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay has various applications in fields such as medicine, energy production, and archaeology. For example, radioactive isotopes are used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, and nuclear power plants use the heat produced from radioactive decay to generate electricity.