Solving Radioactive Decay: Homework Equations and Attempt at Solution

In summary, the question is asking for the expression for the activity of a sample over time, given its half-life and initial activity value. The equation for this is N=N0e-λt. The person asking the question has written down the incorrect expression for the rate of decay, which should be measured in Becquerels (Bq). They then clarify that the correct expression is similar to the original one, except N is substituted for A and N0 for A0. They are given a value for A0 and are asked to find a "current" value for A that represents a maximum deviation of 10% from A0, taking into account an initial uncertainty of 2%. The person asking the question is unsure of how
elemis

Homework Statement

radioactive.png

Homework Equations

N=N0e-λt

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do all of part (a) but I'm stuck on part (b).

I don't even know where to begin. I just have no idea what to make of this question.

Could someone prod me in the right direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the expression for the activity of a sample over time, given its half-life and initial activity value?

gneill said:
What's the expression for the activity of a sample over time, given its half-life and initial activity value?

I've written down that expression in the original post.

elemis said:
I've written down that expression in the original post.

Not quite, you've written down the amount of material remaining as a function of time. The rate of decay is measured in Becquerels (Bq) and represents the instantaneous number of decays per second. It has a similar form to the equation you wrote...

gneill said:
Not quite, you've written down the amount of material remaining as a function of time. The rate of decay is measured in Becquerels (Bq) and represents the instantaneous number of decays per second. It has a similar form to the equation you wrote...

Its basically the same equation except N is subbed for A and N0 for A0

elemis said:
Its basically the same equation except N is subbed for A and N0 for A0
Correct. And you're given a value for Ao are you not?

What would constitute a "current" value for A that would represent a maximum deviation of 10% from Ao? Keep in mind that Ao has an initial uncertainty of 2%.

gneill said:
Correct. And you're given a value for Ao are you not?

What would constitute a "current" value for A that would represent a maximum deviation of 10% from Ao? Keep in mind that Ao has an initial uncertainty of 2%.

So A0 = 3.5*105

3.78*105 ? A 2% uncertainty is built into A0 so an 8% error must originate from the A ?

So 0.08*3.5*10^5 + 3.5*10^5 = above answer ?

You're thinking along the right lines... but keep in mind that the Activity must decrease over time. So the new value of A should be smaller than Ao.

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is a process in which unstable atomic nuclei release energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This process can result in the conversion of one element into another.

2. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs when the strong nuclear force, which holds the protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus together, is not strong enough to keep the nucleus stable. The unstable nucleus then releases energy in the form of radiation to become more stable.

3. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the release of a helium nucleus, beta decay involves the release of an electron or positron, and gamma decay involves the release of high energy photons.

4. What factors can affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by the half-life of the element, temperature, pressure, and the presence of other elements. Additionally, the type of decay can also affect the rate, as some types of decay are more unstable than others.

5. How is radioactive decay used in everyday life?

Radioactive decay has many practical applications, including its use in nuclear power plants, medical treatments, and carbon dating. It is also used in smoke detectors and certain types of imaging technology such as PET scans.