Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Radioactive Decay - Tricky

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

radioactive.png

2. Relevant equations

N=N0e-λt

3. The attempt at a solution

I can do all of part (a) but I'm stuck on part (b).

I don't even know where to begin. I just have no idea what to make of this question.

Could someone prod me in the right direction ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What's the expression for the activity of a sample over time, given its half-life and initial activity value?

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    I've written down that expression in the original post.

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

gneill

Not quite, you've written down the amount of material remaining as a function of time. The rate of decay is measured in Becquerels (Bq) and represents the instantaneous number of decays per second. It has a similar form to the equation you wrote...

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5
    Its basically the same equation except N is subbed for A and N0 for A0

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6

gneill

Correct. And you're given a value for Ao are you not?

What would constitute a "current" value for A that would represent a maximum deviation of 10% from Ao? Keep in mind that Ao has an initial uncertainty of 2%.

8. Apr 8, 2012 #7
    So A0 = 3.5*105

3.78*105 ? A 2% uncertainty is built into A0 so an 8% error must originate from the A ?

So 0.08*3.5*10^5 + 3.5*10^5 = above answer ?

9. Apr 8, 2012 #8

gneill

You're thinking along the right lines... but keep in mind that the Activity must decrease over time. So the new value of A should be smaller than Ao.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook