Estimating Date of Mouse Visit with Radioactive Decay

In summary, the conversation discusses using the 14C:12C ratio of a mouse dropping found in a house in Ireland to estimate the approximate date when the mouse visited the house. Using the half-life of 14C, the equation t = half life / 0.693 * ln ( A / Ao) is used to calculate the time, but there is disagreement on the values used in the equation and the resulting estimated time.
darren t
[Hey I have also been asked this question, A mouse dropping was found in a house in Ireland and had a 14C:12C ratio that was 57% of a modern day standard. Use this value to estimate the aprox date when the mouse visited the house? The half life of 14C is 5715 year

I used the following equation.

t = half life / 0.693 * ln ( A / Ao)

therefore = 5715 / 0.693 * ln ( 100 / 570

therefore t = 4626.42 years?

What do you guys think ? Am I doing it right??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would have done this:
(1/2)xx= 0.57 so x ln(1/2)= ln(0.57) and x= ln(0.57)/ln(1/2)= 0.811 so the mouse dropping has gone through .811 "half lives". Since each half life is 5715 years, that is .811(5715)= 3961 years, not 4626 years.

Your "0.6943" is, of course, ln(2). What do A and Ao mean in your formula? 100 and 570 seem peculiar values. Shouldn't it be either 100/57= 1./.57 or, perhaps better, 57/100= .57?

Thanks for getting back to me

A is the amount of radioactivity it has when it is new and Ao refers to how much radioactivity is has now!

Normally this value would be in Curies ect,. but no other data was given!

Your right the value should be 57 not 570, that was a typo on my end, Sorry!

hey:

So i did my calculation again

t = 5715 / 0.693 * ln (100 / 75)

t = 8246.75 * ln (1.33)
t = 8246.75 * 0.28

t = 2309.09 years

Its still does not seem right!
I think I might go with your way HallsofIvy :)

1. How does radioactive decay help estimate the date of mouse visits?

Radioactive decay is a natural process in which unstable atoms release energy and particles over time, transforming into more stable atoms. By measuring the amount of radioactive material present in a sample, such as in the mouse's footprints, and understanding its rate of decay, we can estimate how long ago the mouse visited based on the amount of decay that has occurred.

2. What type of radioactive material is used in this method of estimation?

The most commonly used radioactive material for estimating dates is carbon-14. This is because it is naturally present in the atmosphere and is absorbed by living organisms. When these organisms die, the carbon-14 begins to decay at a known rate, making it a useful tool for estimating dates.

3. Is this method of estimation accurate?

The accuracy of estimating dates with radioactive decay depends on various factors, including the type of radioactive material, the sample size, and the calibration of the equipment used. However, with proper calibration and careful measurements, this method can be highly accurate, with a margin of error of a few years.

4. Can this method be used for estimating dates of other events?

Yes, radioactive decay can be used to estimate the dates of various events, not just the date of a mouse visit. It has been used in archeology to date artifacts and in geology to determine the age of rocks and minerals. It can also be used in forensic science to determine the time of death in a crime investigation.

5. How long does it take for radioactive material to decay?

The rate at which radioactive material decays varies depending on the type of material. Some materials have a half-life of a few seconds, while others have a half-life of thousands of years. A half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay into a more stable form. However, regardless of the half-life, all radioactive material will eventually decay completely.