How Long Does It Take for 80% of Carbon-14 to Decay in a Dead Animal?

• Thread starter Flavia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary, the conversation is discussing the decay rate of carbon-14 in an animal after it has died. The carbon decays at a rate of 0.012% per year. To find the decay constant λ, an equation is used which involves the initial amount of carbon-14 (Ro) and the remaining amount (No). The question of which equation to use to find the year is raised, and it is suggested to use the equation 0.99988=1 exp (-λt) with t=1 year to find the value of λ. However, there is a clarification that the initial amount of carbon-14 (Ro) is not necessarily 100%, but rather it is given that 20% remains (
Flavia
Im having trouble answering this question.

How long it takes for 80% of the carbon-14 to decay in an animal after it has died.
Carbon decays rate 0.012% per year.

So, my understanding is,

-(R = 0.00012 yr-1, t=1 yr)
R=Ro exp (-λt)
0.00012=Ro exp(-λ(1)) ---- (1)

-No = 0.8,
No=λRo
Ro=0.8/λ ------ (2)

To find λ, (2) into (1)

0.00012=0.8/λ exp(-λ(1))
∴ λ = 8.8 yrs-1

Now I am stuck which equation i have to use to find the year?
Are my assumption above is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
R=Ro exp (-λt) is the activity of the sample (decays per time)
0.00012/yr is the relative activity (decays per atoms per year)
They have a different meaning.

If 0.00012 of the probe decays per year, after one year the number of radioactive atoms and the activity is 0.99988 of its original value:

0.99988=1 exp (-λt) with t=1year. Can you use this equation to find λ?

mfb said:
R=If 0.00012 of the probe decays per year, after one year the number of radioactive atoms and the activity is 0.99988 of its original value:

0.99988=1 exp (-λt) with t=1year. Can you use this equation to find λ?

so i can just assume the Ro=100% although it is given No=80%?

λ = - ln (0.99988) [in units of inverse years]

Then solve e-λt = 0.2 for t using the above...

Flavia said:
so i can just assume the Ro=100% although it is given No=80%?
No this is not given. It is given that 20% remains, which means R=0.2 R0 and N=0.2 N0

1. What is Carbon-14?

Carbon-14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is present in all living organisms. It has a half-life of approximately 5,730 years and is constantly decaying.

2. How does Carbon-14 end up in a dead animal?

Animals obtain Carbon-14 through their food sources, which contain carbon from the atmosphere. When an animal dies, it stops taking in new Carbon-14 and the existing Carbon-14 begins to decay.

3. How is Carbon-14 used to determine the age of a dead animal?

Scientists measure the amount of Carbon-14 remaining in a sample of the animal's remains and compare it to the amount of Carbon-14 in a living organism. By using the known decay rate of Carbon-14, they can estimate how long ago the animal died.

4. Can the age of a dead animal be accurately determined using Carbon-14?

Carbon-14 dating is a commonly used method for determining the age of organic materials, but it does have limitations. It is most accurate for objects that are less than 50,000 years old, as the amount of Carbon-14 in a sample becomes too small to measure after this time.

5. What other information can be learned from Carbon-14 in a dead animal?

In addition to determining the age of a dead animal, Carbon-14 can also provide information about the animal's diet and environment. By analyzing the ratios of different isotopes of carbon, scientists can learn about the types of plants the animal ate and the climate it lived in.