Calculating Radioactive Decay with Simultaneous Particle Emission

In summary, the radioactive material will decay by simultaneous emission of two particles with respective half lives of 1620 and 810 years. The time, in years, after which one-fourth of the material remains is 540*2=1080.
erisedk

Homework Statement

A radioactive material decays by simultaneous emission of two particles with respective half lives 1620 and 810 years. The time, in years, after which one-fourth of the material remains is:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused whether the half lives mentioned are of the original radioactive material itself, or of the the particles which are formed. In any case, I'm really not sure of how to deal with two particle emission. I've only ever done single decays and basic half life calculations. Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you have a material that can decay through two different channels, one with a H.L. 1620 years and one with a H.L. of 810 years. The term simultaneous does not refer to the emission of two types at the same time.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. But what do I do after that?

erisedk said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. But what do I do after that?
You need to find an expression which describes how much of tthe substance will remain after a given time.

How do you think the rate of decay of the parent related to the rate of formation of the daughters?

I'm extremely sorry for replying after so long!

gleem said:
How do you think the rate of decay of the parent related to the rate of formation of the daughters?
I suppose the rate of decay of the parent is equal to the rate of formation of the daughter. So, I'm guessing the rate of decay would be equal to the sum of rates of formation of the two nuclei. Here's what I did.
N = N0e-λt where N is the number of nuclei left after time t and the decay constant is λ.
Rate of formation of both the nuclei would be λiN.
So,
dN/dt = λN = λ1N + λ2N where λ1, λ2 are the decay constants of the two different daughter nuclei.
So, N cancels.
I get t1/2 = 1620*810/1620+810 = 540 years
So, 1/4th will remain after 540*2 = 1080 years.

Which is the right answer. Thank you!

What is radioactive decay emission?

Radioactive decay emission is the process through which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy in the form of particles or waves. This is done in order to become more stable, and it is a natural and spontaneous process.

What are the types of particles emitted during radioactive decay?

The types of particles emitted during radioactive decay include alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma rays. Alpha particles are made up of two protons and two neutrons, beta particles are high-energy electrons, and gamma rays are electromagnetic waves.

What is the half-life of a radioactive substance?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This is a constant for each substance and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

What factors affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by factors such as the type of element, the stability of the nucleus, and the amount of the substance present.

How is radioactive decay emission used in scientific and medical applications?

Radioactive decay emission is used in a variety of scientific and medical applications, including radiometric dating, nuclear power generation, and medical imaging and treatments. It is also used in research to study the properties of atoms and their behavior under different conditions.