1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactive Elements - HELP!

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Hello, this is my first time posting....

We're working on a cartoon for science class, and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to a bit of a dilemma I have...

If you take a single fragile, radioactive element and bond it with another fragile, radioactive element, is there a good chance it'll explode or collapse or in some other way violently explode????

That probably sounds weird but I'm in dire need of knowing. (Dire need of knowing? Ah well.)

Thanks!

confusedchemist

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    Not good, no. You need to smash them together to make a very unstable radioactive element. Otherwise they decay according to their half-life.

(P.S. wrong section, it'll probably get moved eventually.)

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What does one mean by fragile? Elements are not fragile.

As Asphodel mentioned, simply combining elements (actually atoms of given elements) does not affect their radioactivity, which is a nuclear property, not a chemical property. Each radionuclide has a characteristic decay rate or half-life, and that does not change as a result of a chemical reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?