1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radioactivty: Activity?

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question itself doesnt sound too complicated i some-how got the asnwer,just wondering if its correct or not.

Question is:A radioactuve isotope wuith a half-life of 1.6x10^5 s disintegrates to form a stable product.A pure sample of 'x' is prepared with an initial activity of 25000Bq.
    Caclulate the activity of the sample after week one.
    2. Relevant equations
    A= Ao e^-lamdba (t)
    T(1/2)= Ln2 /lamda.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used initial activity as 25k bq now i thought activity to be in /s? i dont know here is what i've done.
    A= Ao e^-lamdba (t)
    LnA = LnA0 - (lamda)x T
    LnA = ln(25000)-(4.33x10^-6 x 604.8x10^3)
    A = 1822. <--- would the units be in s^-1?

Again thanks for your input =}.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    why dont you use latex for equation..it will be easier to read latex equations..just you use tex tags before and after equations..Also use a single equation instead of multiple equations for e.g.,
    Bq is SI unit for radioactivity. i.e. disintegrations per second..or it just same..Bq is same as per second or s-1.
    here t = 1 week.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. Apr 12, 2010 #3
    Ah you see i am not familiar with latex usage. I know how useful it is to both OP and thread posters. Anyhow it seems that its correct?Thanks a zillion for your reply!.Thing is i got 14 exams in under 60 days and i am after A* grade i love astrophysics! So i need to get those grades! Sorry went kinda offtopic.I will be posting more questions later these were pretty basic given off by my teacher today.Just trying to be extra-cautious.
  5. Apr 12, 2010 #4
    I think the equations you write..for eg., in your 1st eqn.
    you just need to use tex before and /tex after the eqn. inside [ ] that is enough..for lambda use '\' before it..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook