1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Radiology and physics

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    I have this kind of wish to do research on fields related to physics.I am interested in biology also.I read somewhere that radiology is a combination of both physics and biology.If so how much of radiology is physics and will I be able to do my wish of research if I get an M.D in Radiology?
    P.S I am currently working for getting into a good med school.So any guidance about how I could go about is welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    I am a retired medical physicist and while I have not participated directly in much research I have been able to observe the development of most of the state of the art techniques and instrumentation over the last thirty years. .Radiology is a branch of medicine first and foremost. Research in Radiology i.e. imaging is usually done from a clinical point of view by radiologists. Radiologists primarily study the clinical efficacy of imaging techniques in the diagnosis of disease processes.. Research into new imaging techniques or hardware is usually done by physicists (medical physicists) and engineers (bioengineers) although physicians often do participate. Physicians who contribute the most usually have a hard science degree.which might be anything from a BS to a PhD. The point is that if you are interested in application of physics to medicine or biology getting an MD is the hard way to do it since you will still the the science and/or engineering on top of the MD.

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3
    Now I get it.I've been in a false opinion all these days.Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted