Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiometric quantities

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand (in a most general fashion possible) a relations between radiometric quantities and physic of EM wave.

With EM wave quantities that are usually mentioned in books (at least the ones I've found) are:
    - energy density of EM wave (this is a time dependent and position in space dependent value as far as I understand).
    - Poynting vector (this is a time dependent and position in space dependent value as far as I understand).

Now within radiometry there are among others following quantities:
    - Radiant energy
    - Radian flux (also called radiant power)
    - Radiant energy density

I understand that all of thos quantities can either be treated as a functions of wave lenght of "in total" - by integrating over a spectrum. So looking at them at a fixed wave lenght (so that each is a function of wave lenght) my question is - how those radiant quantities relate to physical quantities?

Thanks in advance

P.S. I'm not a physicist but a mathematician, so don't hesitate to put an equation or three in here :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted