Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B radiometric term

1. May 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM #1
    Is there a radiometric term for the quantity (power emitted per unit volume per unit solid angle)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Since power per solid angle [W/sr] is "Intensity", I suspect you are thinking of 'intensity density'? It has a nice rhythm, at least....

4. May 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM #3
    Which volume are you referring to? That of the emitter?

5. May 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM #4
    emitter volume. For a gas or plasma.

6. May 19, 2017 at 5:00 PM #5
    For a receiving surface external to an emitting object, usually only the power per unit area and/or solid angle are considered as that is what the receiving surface "sees." As such, I'm not sure how the volume of the emitter can be taken into account, especially if there is nonuniform power generated throughout.

7. May 20, 2017 at 5:27 AM #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How would one include the opacity of the medium, I wonder? The inner regions of a volume of gas would not necessarily have the same effect as the outer regions. Take the example of s Star, for instance. That's an extreme example but worth while thinking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted