1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiowave Absorption Formula

1. Feb 12, 2010 #1
    For an upcoming experiment I was given the following formula to study

It shows the collisional radiowave absorption in the ionosphere although I don't really understand what it means. I have not come across it before and its not in my textbook. Can someone familiar with it please explain to me what this formula is actually doing and what each of the terms mean. Also, is there a way of converting it into absorption rate?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2010 #2
    I need to get started on this pretty soon. At the very least does anyone know what Ar and Au might stand for? Is 'e' the exponential or does it stand for something else in this case? Is is 's' in the term 'ds' the distance? If so the distance of what? The distance the wave has travelled?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  4. Feb 12, 2010 #3
    I would expect e to be the electron charge, and m_e to be its mass.

I found an article about microwave radiation absorption in the ionosphere:
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/72661h65211018t0/

Some of the parameters were similar, so maybe they are the same. The \nu was a collision rate, and N was n electron number density so that could be your N_e. They considered a vertical trajectory, so your integral could be an onedimensional integral along a vertical path.

f may be the frequency of the incoming radiation. It is in this article:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6VSV-4DS3T3S-12/2/ad63762fcb25ea6d6e194ca1563f0659
    They also used \nu as the electron collision frequency, and elecron number density N_e. Also electron charge e, electron mass m, and speed of light c, electric permittivity \epsilon_0 as in your formula.

Torquil

5. Feb 13, 2010 #4
    Thanks. That helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook